Help needed with starter issues: 1998 argo response 8x8 18hp b&s engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help needed with starter issues: 1998 argo response 8x8 18hp b&s engine

Hybrid View

Help needed with starter issues: 1998 argo response 8x8 18hp b&s engine

Guys, I need help. I have a '98 response with the 18hp b&s. Was turning over and starting fine. My son drove around our property in the deep, fresh snow (real wet, heavy) for 1/2hr or so. He parked it without issue. I got out of plow truck and jumped in with him and when I turned the key it just spun. Never engaged engine/flywheel. I went up front, bumped with a screwdriver and no change, just spinning. I tracked a wire from starter area that went to front of tub which had a 30amp fuse which seemed to be melted. I removed the fuse best I could and tried again, same exact thing. I've replaced this fuse section with new and put in a fresh fuse. No change. I felt under the front of motor and can feel a rectangular piece which seems to spin on shaft of starter freely. It however doesn't seem to engage (if it's supposed to). I tested the starter solenoid and it gets current across the main terminals? Didn't seem right, but I'm not sure. So... machine runs great when started with recoil but just spins freely when starter is triggered. Help??? Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Mike; 03-01-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: moved thread to engine forum

It sounds like the bendix gear is not engaging. This can be a simple fix that only involves lubricating the shaft or removing built up dirt so that the gear goes out to the flywheel properly or it could be a faulty solenoid or stripped gear. Best thing to do is take the starter off and test it to see if the gear is getting thrown out or not.

What I have experienced with a starter a couple times in the winter is that moisture from snow or snow dust has attached itself to the bendix and in essence froze it from engaging,a night spent in the garage or a trouble light leaned on the starter fixed it.

not having any luck with the warming trick. One question that's bugging me... the wire (12g I believe) that has a fusible link at front of machine which runs to starter... what is this? What does it control? Pulling the 30a fuse out doesn't seem to affect anything. I'm thinking it should?

no-one has an 8x8 response? Just trying to see if someone can unplug that fuse and try to start, seeing what happens. If it just spins freely without engaging or starts. anyone????

I'm with Mike on this one. Take the starter off and find out what is really goiong on. Bench testing is much easier. At least you'll find out what that wire is for.

+ Reply to Thread