Thinking about doing a 40HP/60ftlbTQ

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about doing a 40HP/60ftlbTQ

Me and Fred just so got our hands on a Generac 990cc 33HP engine out here. I came off of Generator that had been left for trash. Needless to say we took it apart from the generator and then tore the motor all the way down cleaned it, inspected the heads, cyclinders, and pistons. No issues. We put it back together, check the values then went for a start. 1st of two issues, was not getting fuel from the pump, took it apart and blew it out. 2nd issue was not getting fuel pass the fuel solenoid so we removed the tip of it to allow fuel to flow and just disconnected all together. She fired right up and sounds awsome. Now the only problem is it has the tappered shaft.

I wonder has anyone matched the Generac up to a Bando to see which gives you more bang for your buck?
    Last edited by CBass; 05-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

The Generac will have more at lower rpms. The Bando will have more speed as it turns many more rpms.

Thanks Jim,

That is some awsome info to have when making a decision on Generac or Bando. So if you got the need for speed Bando, if you want grunt Generac

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    The Generac will have more at lower rpms. The Bando will have more speed as it turns many more rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by CBass View Post
    Now the only problem is it has the tappered shaft.
    Hey Cory,

You can buy a relatively cheap adapter to get that output shaft fitted to one of our clutches. Are the generator cranks 10:1 taper? If the darn thing is free, I'd say snag it!

The only other question is how the heck do you get it home? Do you they give you guys extra cargo space in the back of the C-17?

Quote Originally Posted by CBass View Post
    She fired right up and sounds awsome.
    I was really shocked how it ran,, and I cant wait to see how it does under a full load, like Cory mentioned to me when we got finished revving the crap out of it with big smiles on our faces!!!

I think it will be a great motor for a racer personally and will probably pull really hard and strong out of the corners!!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Nice work getting the engine up and running.

I'm dealing with the tapered shaft issue allso. It seams there are a couple of tappers used on generators, 1.5 per ft. , 2.250 per ft. and others that aren't common. The taper on the cluthes we use is 1:10 or allso known as 1.2 per ft.

If the adapter hydromike is talking about is the one from cartparts, you'll have to have the output shaft turned down to 1" for the adapter to work. Or if there's enough meat there, have the taper changed to the 1:10. The hole in the clutch is 30mm at the large end.

It is worth looking into since we might be able to get it for nothing. Like Mike said getting it back is the biggest issue but even that isn't going to be all that bad depending on space we have to ship.

That is one tough engine great find!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Did you get that generac engine in and get that machine running. What machine are you putting it in. I had to loosen my clutch belt and i backed off my throttle to 3/4 so do not break chains and sprockets and axles in my attex. I also put in rubber engine isolators which i think moves way to much. I agree with the clutch miss alighnment with the flex. will not use them again.
    Last edited by jeffery9076; 08-25-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I have a Argo Frontier with a 31 hp Generac, the Adair Argo guys put it together for a customer and I purchased it from him. Its also got a cold air kit on it so I think HP is at least 33.
    This machine runs superbly and its just what the doctor ordered. The machine has great power throughout the power band. Its every bit as economical as my machines with B&S 23hp engines.
    I am currently putting together another machine, and plan on the same Generac engine for that machine.

+ Reply to Thread