electric fuel pump?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electric fuel pump?

electric fuel pump?

First of all-sorry for starting so many threads guys. I'm new to the AATV sport and bursting with questions. Maybe it's better to keep posting all my questions in one thread-dunno.

Anyway, my Hustler has had an electric fuel pump added (I assume its not factory equip). It's wired to the ignition switch so that whenever the key is on, it runs. I don't like that cause I can't work on amything else that requires key on without disconnecting the pump. I'm thinking about putting a switch on the dash to power pump on/off without key on.
    Also wondering about how this engine (18HP twin cyl Briggs) handles electric pump as fuel supply without any regulator. I've not driven it a lot, but it seems to run Ok this way and has no issues so far.

Have any of you guys been down this road before? Love to pick everyone's brain and take advantage of previous experience.

Well with regards to the switch, leave it wired to the on position and install a separate switch to turn it on and off. That way no matter what, the pump will turn off when you turn off the engine. You probably don't want the pump running while the engine is off and it would suck if you forgot to hit the switch to off and walked away while the pump is draining your battery.

I am sure someone will chime in if I am wrong, but the fact that the engine has a bowl and float system means that the fuel pump is merely keeping the bowl full of fuel, it should not matter how it gets there.

Lastly, congratulations on your new rig. Welcome to the sport of going places you didn't think were possible. The first time you pull it in to a lake is a feeling you will never forget.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

Quote Originally Posted by xbunsenx View Post
    I am sure someone will chime in if I am wrong, but the fact that the engine has a bowl and float system means that the fuel pump is merely keeping the bowl full of fuel, it should not matter how it gets there.
    Bunsen's right. As long as your electric pump is the low pressure (1-2 psi, or so) style pulse pump, you'll be fine with your carburetor. I use them on a few different machines and they work fine. I would always do an intermittent check on the system though. There's always the possibility of getting a tiny piece of crud lodged between the needle and seat, at which point the pump can overflow your bowl and pump gas into your lower tub. Usually (USUALLY) your engine will flood out before anything really bad happens, but it's always best to be aware of things.

Thanks guys-I'll wire it that way. Makes sense. Gotta install a fuse block also so i can fuse the pump (and lights, and misc.)
    As for driving off into a lake--did that yesterday and found out it don't swim worth a crap. TIRES on on the shopping list.
    But you're right-WHAT A FEELING driving off into the lake! ( at least it floats )

I bought my Max IV new and I was so excited that the first time I drove it into the lake, I forgot to put the plugs in. I thankfully remembered and promptly turned around and went back to shore.
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

+ Reply to Thread