B&S Wiring Diagram

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B&S Wiring Diagram

Hybrid View

B&S Wiring Diagram

The B&S 18hp motor is finally back. But all of the wiring is gone. Does anyone have info on a wiring diagram? I can see a 2 prong plug which is likely the 12v out?
    Last edited by Mike; 02-21-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: moved thread from Hustler forum to Engine forum

It's pretty simple, but I'm not good with wiring or explaining it. 6X6World member Racerone3 would be able to point you in the right direction. He knows these engines inside and out. Is this the flat twin Briggs I/C or the V twin Briggs Vanguard?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The opposed Briggs engines only have a 12V out from the voltage regulator (on the top-rear of the engine) and a kill wire hooked up to the magneto, which plugs into a receptical on the upper-front of the engine. Outside of a starter wire, that's it.... I've never looked at the wiring on a Vanguard, so you'll need someone S-M-R-T'er than I for that one.....

::EDIT:: Wait, is it THIS engine, from almost a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by kpike52 View Post
    As part of my Hustler rebuild I am letting the high school small engine shop class check out my 16hp B&S.
    Last edited by hydromike; 02-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Yes, this is the engine from a year ago. It took 3 semesters to complete. (don't ask). It is an IC. There is a 3/16" spade terminal on top too. It looks like a frame ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kpike52 View Post
    There is a 3/16" spade terminal on top too. It looks like a frame ground.
    It does look like a frame ground, but this is the kill switch wire for the magneto. It connects to the "Mag" or "M" labeled terminal on your ignition switch. Look at it closely, and you'll see it's actually insulated from ground. A ground wire from the engine to the frame should be a beefy wire, about the same gauge as a battery cable.

Ok that makes sense except I do not have a wiring harness anymore with the ignition switch. All the wiring went out with the motor but did not come back.
    The mag has a spade on the top side opposite from the spark cables. This motor has points and a wire is connected from the mag spade to the points. (Side question - How do the points and mag working together to create the ignition spark duration?) Is this the wire that also connects to a kill switch circuit that shunts the mag to ground?

+ Reply to Thread