Engine help please

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine help please

Engine help please

Hi Guys
    Started up the Max II today to move it, reved it up to move it, was running fine then started Smoking bad and cut out, started up again after a long time trying, but still smoking! any ideas?
    Richie

what color is the smoke? Black is fuel and blue is oil. Should help you get started in the right direction hopefully.

Forgot to say, its parked on a bit of a incline, back end facing down, never done this before, but its been parked the other way, the Smoke is blue. it was fine till I reved it up, think smoke then was a gray then blue

What motor do you have? Some Briggs motors are bad about burning oil if used at some extreme angles. Briggs' website says anything over 15 degrees but I'm sure that is the attorney-recommended answer. I think it takes more like twice that before you will experience burning of oil through the breather. When that happens, the cloud of white/blue smoke is usually very thick. The other possibility, if left at an angle, oil can get into the cylinder behind the piston. When the piston travels back down the cylinder some can get by the rings on occasion and that will usually produce less of a cloud of smoke.

If the smoke clears out after you let it run for a few minutes, you should be fine. You may want to pull the plugs and check them. Also check the breather for oil.

Another deal may be the valves are out of adjustment. I have one B&S 18 engine that I have to adjust every 75 hours or so. It behaves similarly when the valves are out of adjustment.

Also check the oil for fuel. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump fails the crankcase gets full of fuel and runs very rich as the vapor from crankcase has fuel in it. Try running it with air filter off and vent hose held away from carb inlet. I've had perfectly fine looking air filters that won't run at all.

hi
    What engine briggs or kohler ??

tomo

Hi Guys
    Sorry late replying been away, its a Briggs 18HP V Twin, It was fine till i reved it up, then heavy smoke then cut out, it fired up 10 minutes later and now running ok again!
    Richie

+ Reply to Thread