Kawasaki FD620D Liquid Cooling System Issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kawasaki FD620D Liquid Cooling System Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    HI
    When running cold ........a lot........ of engine wear occurs

If the engine overheats with a thermostat installed the engine has an issue somewhere else
    I assume you mean if the engine overheats with a working thermostat. I recognize the need for a thermostat otherwise the engine would be impossible to use in the winter for the above reason; it would never warm up. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that a new OEM thermostat and some good coolant solves all of my temperature related problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobsterbox View Post
    Tomorrow I go to John Deere and pick up my thermostat. I've got to try stopping at Princess Auto to buy one of those infrared sensors, since the gauge pegs itself whenever I turn my lights on. Turn them off again and after a moment or two the gauge snaps back to normal.
    Clean all the connections at gauge,sender, all grounds on ground bar etc. Suspect bad gauge. Also check that the fan belt is tight.

Hi Lobsterbox,
    Did not mean to explain in such a way about that..

I have had a thermostat that was stuck /limited movement which caused cycling of the temperature and staying high under load [limited coolant flow ] Basically the engine was cooking itself to death .
    Poor quality part
    99% of cooling systems run 180 to 195f [180 is my preference ]
    The only reason that some cooling systems run hotter is to improve emissions or gain that last 1/2hp
    They run around the 212f /100c relies heavily on the radiator cap to prevent boiling
    [pressurized system raises the boiling point ] At 212f u have no margin for error
    Thats why I asked u to note the thermostat temp . I would be tempted to change the thermostat to a 180f if not already .
    If the radiator cap has some wear in the rubber gasket at all change with a new one of the same pressure rating [inexpensive]

Typically u can buy a radiator thermometer cheaper than other types [dial on a probe ]which helps when doing service work .
    An infared thermometer will be good when u are travelling along under load and check the radiator top ""tank"" temp [engine out let temp ]
    Hope all this info helps . When it comes to issues mechanical ,I just enjoy solving them
    tomo

The engine can also run hot if it is running too lean. (wrong jet, dirty carb, ...)

Hey Lobsterbox, How do you like the performance of the Kawi?

I just picked a 97 Kawi 20HP one up for $50 that had an Oil leak issue. Im going to tear it down but I wasn't sure if it was worth using for a buggy project or if I should just Part it out and invest in a Vanguard.

Do you know what year your engine is?
    Im not sure if your aware, but pre 98 engines had Nylon Cam Gears that Break very easily, causing a tear down and need of Cam Replacement. I read that they used the Nylon Gear due to reduce sound noise. After 98', went to Steel Cam gear.

+ Reply to Thread