Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

Have done a bit of work since last post. Chains are all in now. Tranny is set in place, ready for engine to be lowered on to put finishing touches on the engine mounts. Didn't want to finish them completely before, as I wasn't sure about clearance with the body plastic. I have some pics, but need to upload them yet.

I picked up 8 24" argo tires. They're a bit older, but still brand new. 4 came on new rims. I did all the measuring beforehand, and looks like they'll fit fine. Working on cleaning up 4 of my old rims and painting nice. Hope to have it rolling on the ground soon! Only 4 weeks until camping trip!

Pictures are deceiving, though it looks as if at least one chain is way out of whack. Front to rear they should lay in a set of straight lines.
    Just what I see, not being critical.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Good eye Jim. They're not likely lined up. Have not tightened the sprockets down on the shaft yet. Was about 11:30pm, and wife was already in bed. Didn't much feel like doing much more at that point. But don't worry, all will be set and lined up before rolling around.

oh boy,you getting close bud.cant wait to see how this sucker drives.

Since its a holiday up here in canuckistan, I thought it best to get something done. Chopped down all my blades of grass this morning, then it was Argo time! Put the tires on the rims, which were freshly wire wheeled and painted. A jug of bead lube, some valve stems, a few ratchet straps, and I was in business. The loose tires I got had obviously been sitting around a while. Since 2009, if you go by mfg date. The beads were almost touching each other when I picked them up. I used spray paint cans to spread the beads for a few days.

This is what the beads looked like after.

Not awesome, but better than before.

So, I spooned them on with copious amounts of lube. If I can put it on with my hands, then you know there's enough lube on it! To get the beads to seal, I had to use two ratchet straps. You can't just use one. You need to have two at 180° apart. Cinched them down real good and threw some air at it. Worked awesome! Easiest tires I've ever done! Put a bit of air in, then let the straps go. Don't be anywhere near the line of fire when they go, you'll find out its not so pleasant. My beads seated anywhere from 15-20psi.

After about 2 hours work, all 8 wheels are ready to go on. With the exception of one, all are under 24" diameter. I think the one that's bigger is inflated too much. Aired it down, but forgot to check again.

For those with a keen eye, yes, that's a '52 Evinrude 7.5hp. And yes, that IS going on the back of the Argo. I've got my share of old outboards. They all run, and all together cost me less than $200.

Was sick of tripping over the wheels, so put them on!

And the gap between wheels is about 1/2". They're all fairly even.

They look really good.

bam...just like that...bad azz fer sure...cant wait hear and see this bad boy go
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread