Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

Last night's progress.

Had to build my crane (pallet racking, 4x4, and a winch) to hoist that beast into the engine compartment. Sits in there decent, though a little high. But, I knew that already. One engine mount needs some modifying, and then I can attach it. Muffler is coming off, will put a pipe through the original spot on left front. Did a dry fit on all parts that need to be put in yet. Air intake, cooling system, exhaust. Will all fit in there. I ordered a new alternator, its supposed to be a bit smaller. Its for a Ford Fiesta. The old one that was the size of a wheelbarrow, not the new one.

Anyway, hope to get lots more done tonight and tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rudy_Magnum; 07-03-2015 at 09:45 AM.

I like the Gantry deal!

I like it too! Makes things easier for putting a heavy engine in and out. I can't do it myself, and prego wife ain't gonna help. I lifted this thing off the truck myself once. Not something I need to repeat. Ever.

I've got some help coming tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully engine will be bolted down by the end of the weekend.

The weekend was good. Engine and tranny are all bolted in. Took a bit of fab work, and a trip for fasteners, but looks good now. It's straight, solid, and and should be able to take a rattly old diesel pretty well.

Sorry, no pictures of when it was totally done. Didn't head in until midnight. Will try to get some more in the light.

Tonight I think I will work on the fuel tank. Get it ready to try out the diesel!

Damn...cant wait see this bad boy running some tough stuff
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Does that diesel require a return line?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Really nice job on the fab work
    Have enjoyed reading through the thread.
    Thanks for taking the time to post all of this.

RW, I'm hoping it will go through some tough stuff. Camping trip has some tough terrain.

Jim, yes it does. If you're thinking that will be a problem with the tank, I've built a new, bigger, steel tank. The old Argo tank was split at one of the seams. Gonna have a lower part in the bottom of the tank, as you don't want to pull air in a diesel. Putting a few baffles in as well, so it doesn't slosh around as much. Return line will come into the tank somewhere near the top, as I've heard that having it too close to your feed line has a good chance of getting air.

Vance, thanks! I enjoy going back and reading through as well. I try to put as much info up as possible. Then I don't have to remember it!

Mornin' boys and girls! Didn't get too much done yet. Wifey went to hospital last night and they want to monitor her for 24hrs. Her blood pressure was slightly above what they like to see, and a few other things were a mild concern. I guess can't be too careful when baby is concerned. So, last night was pretty much a write off. I did do a few things though...

My new alternator came in yesterday. Was gonna fix up the old one, but found this one, newly remanufactured, for $16 Canuck bucks! WHAT A DEAL!!! A bit for shipping, and it's all wonderful! Didn't come with fan or pulley, but that's not a big deal, I can re-use the old ones. I plan to make a new mounting location for it. Not real wild about it being way up top at the front. There's no room for it there anyway. So, it will be behind the engine, lower down. Close to the battery. I like that more anyway, as it has less chance of getting wet, keeps the weight lower, and further back. Also don't need to have wires go as far.

Still working out some fuel system stuff in my head. Went hunting for some fittings, but only found a few. Didn't have time to go to another store. I plan to reuse the line that came with the reefer, so that's a plastic one with compression fittings. Tractor supply seems to only have stuff for bigger fittings, and a horrible selection of hose.

fo us on mama n baby....yer baby comes way down list lol.

did you put a drain in jour fuel tank...just in case? water??? contaminants??? i did and was happy...can draw small bit fuel to light fire even...but popcorn fart dry here now ...really bad fire season

is the alt internally regulated or external? where did u get it and pics?

I went with all new Tygon fuel lines when I installed the diesel. feed and return.

again focus on mama n baby....yers can wait....oh ya pics or never happend. Is this yer first kid?
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread