Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    Success! All axles, shafts and bearings are out! Gas tank is out. Seat frame is out. Only thing left is bearing carriers and hitch bolts, then the frame comes out! Woohoo! Calling it good enough for the night. Gonna grab a pumpkin spice from Timmie's, and pick up the wifey. Tomorrow should see the frame out, and in the truck to go get pressure washed and degreased. Woohoo!
    ?????????????????????

Thanks Joe, so, if I've read the correct bit, and got the gist of it, it's a doughnut with spicy pumpkin in it ?? You boys certainly like your doughnuts over there, I never knew they made so many different types.

Actually, I had a coffee with a pumpkin spice "flavor shot" in it. VERY delicious!

Don't go cutting down those axles without some measurin, the stepped axles are slightly longer than the older ones.
    Place one stepped center axle in and tighten everything and use that as a baseline from body to hub flange.

Also if there is room try turning the rear ext.s to the front and check bolt clearance for the other 3, maybe mount them that way. (support is support)

Hi Jim. I did notice that about the axles. Don't you worry, all will be done right. I am taking everything to work tomorrow to run through the parts washer. If the axles won't fit in the lathe at work, I guess I'll have to send them to the machine shop we use all the time.

Got the frame out of the tub tonight. Found some tools buried in there from a previous owner. Some sockets, wrench, screwdrivers. Some of them good still.

Front/rear axle supports were a real pain to get out. Steel bolts in an aluminum housing, no anti-seize, with water commonly around them. They don't come out nicely. One bolt stayed in the housing, we just turned the housing out.

Hope to get bearings and seals on order this week or next. Frame will get cleaned up, painted, and a few modifications done. Makes it tough to do this project right now. Can't do it at home, as we are selling our place, and we are moving the shop at work in a week and a half. Might have to take it a bit easy for the next bit, at least in fab work.

Anyway, time for bed.

Lookin good Rudy Magnum. They're even more fun to put back together!

At least going back together will be a little cleaner.

Spent some time at the shop tonight. Got all the axles apart. All bearings are off, tied all the parts from each shaft together. Labeled everything. Was quite a mixture of bearings. Some original style Argo, some good replacements, some bad replacements, and some that were wrong sizes. Nearly all the ones with locking collars were wrecked. The eccentric part of the inner race was usually snapped off. Makes for a fun time trying to disassemble. Had to cut a few, and press a few. Actually had one bearing (Argo bearing) that the outer race was shattered. Don't remember what wheel it was, but the bearing holder was keeping it together.

Pounded out all the wheel studs. A lot of them were loose, especially the front and back axles. Will replace with new ones, hopefully with bigger knurled sections. Will get new nuts as well, and antiseize them when I put them on.

Compared newer axles to old ones. There's about 1/4" max difference in length. Don't think that's gonna make much difference in the grand scheme of things. Will still get Ryan to match the new ones when he turns down the old axles.

Next step will be to order bearings and seals, studs and nuts, and get this all going. Don't know how long this will take. We are moving the shop next weekend, and I've got 4 big projects on the go....

Hope to be firing a diesel up soon too.

Wow you sound as busy on yers as I am....

Keep a photo journal of it all is all I can say...post it here..then you can referr back to it when needed.

Thanks for all the updates.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread