Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

A bit more work done tonight. Tried getting the primary clutch off the magnum tonight. Got all the parts off, but the last one (stationary part and shaft) would not come off. So, took engine off plate. Washed everything, and pulled out the yanmar. Set it up there to have a look and see how things fit. I think it will fit OK.

While I was looking things over, I noticed that the bearings on the transmission output shafts are loose. The left one is pretty much wrecked. The disc flops all over the place. So, I get to take the secondary clutch off now too, and get a few more bearings. Yay....

hi
    A suggestion [it may have already crossed your mind ] Due to the increased horse power and torque ,would u consider a transmission overhaul?? Particularly as u are finding the disc /output bearings worn out. Does your tranny jump out of gear or have any operational issues?? Reverse idler and or the layshaft can be worn on older units .

tomo

As I've only really driven the thing about 20 minutes in total, I can speak with too much confidence, but for that time, the tranny worked very well. It will come apart though, and I'll check everything over. I'm sure there's a few things to learn in there as well.

Massive is all I can say compared to the trans rofl.

Keep it coming. your journey has only just begun and will continue for many many more hours and pictures!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I'm used to big, long projects. Have done a bunch of old bikes, some tractors, and a few houses.

Got the tranny apart tonight. Most was in good shape. The outside bearing on the left output shaft had the inner race split in two. So, this allowed the bearing to completely fall apart. Only thing holding it semi-together was the snap ring, but it was mangled too. Oh, and there was more water than oil in it. All the other bearings were pretty good, but will get replaced anyway. I can't get the clutch secondary off, so that made for an interesting disassembly. All the gears are good. Not much wear at all. Anyway, some pictures.

hi
    Great job ,bearing ,seals excellent ......
    tomo

Need a new aluminum cage for diff now (3rd pic above). When trying to get the bearing off, broke the part off that it is on. $90, in stock in New Hamburg. A guy I work with has an uncle that works at ODG, so might see if he can score me a better price.

This is the side of the diff that the left output shaft sits in. Because the outer bearing was wrecked, the shaft moved around and slightly mushroomed the end of the aluminum protrusion that the bearing sits on. This was enough to hold the bearing on so well that when tapping the bearing off, it broke. I'm not too sad though, it should really be replaced anyway. The inner bearing of the output shaft sits inside the cage, and because the shaft was moving so much, it didn't sit in there tight anymore. So, not a bad thing that it needs replacing now.

The bushings are separate part numbers, You may want to flip the diff gears if it hasn't been done yet.

Ordered parts from dealer today for tranny. Bearings and seals should be here soon too.

Stopped by the local Princess Auto after work. Picked up some pneumatic fittings and line. Only cost me about $30 for all of it. Inspired by a mod done by someone else here, I am gonna make a central lube point for the 8 bearings in the front. Bought a new grease gun too, and a slide on grease coupling. I'm thinking the grease and coupling will stay with the machine, under the seat. Makes it more likely that it will get greased. That, and my other grease gun is pneumatic, so its kinda stuck close to the shop.

Picked up a voltmeter as well. The Argo has an ammeter, but I want to know volts and engine temp as well. Will also likely do an oil pressure gauge as well.

Planning on getting bearing flanges ready for central lube on Wednesday. Hopefully tranny parts come soon and I can get that back together.

Asked local dealer if he could get TEAM products, he said he can, but not the clutch I want. So, that leaves me only the option of buying direct. Mentioned it to the wife, she didn't say no.

Trailer hitch receiver is to replace old one. Old one is bent and kinda wrecked. Will make a nice plate for this one to mount to, with loops to hook a hook to. Will also make my outboard mount hook on to this.

Goodies:

+ Reply to Thread