Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

K I can't wait to see what you're doing with the air line and so forth, got me wondering LOL

Seems to me you are going to have one hell of a monster of a machine when done. Kudos, to you!

I'm giving consideration to an 8 wheel rig myself, cost is main concern and Super...aka wife....may have rather profound objections to a second AATV, doh!

Are you going to, or do you have tracks for that thing? I bet that if you don't you will soon enough!

I too like a V meter more than Amp, but one or other is better n none. Good call on the oil pressure, and you may want to consider a pyro, and water temp too.

Look forward to seeing this hitch you setup, may give me some ideas...

Thanks for posting and keep it coming!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I can't remember who it was on here that did the grease system. I know he was from London, ON though. I thought it was a great idea as I was looking at stuff as I took it apart, wondering, how the heck am I gonna ever get a grease gun near that?

I hope this ends up being an awesome machine. Planning to build more of a work horse than a race horse. I want a rig I can pull my truck out of the mud with. 8x8 was the only option for me. Need to be able to carry lots, and there ain't much room in a 6x6 Argo, and not much or a price difference. You should see if you can pick one up. I have been blessed with an awesome wife. She has her own tractor, loves riding Argos, and is getting her motorcycle license next year to ride the old GS1000.

I don't have tracks yet. I doubt my cheap dutch blood will allow me to shell out that much coin. I won't be going hunting with it, or running through the swamp. More for around the house, and camping. If I do end up needing tracks, I'd likely make my own anyway.

I think I pyro meter would be a little over the top for this rig. Engine is cheap enough to rebuild. Full rebuild kit is somewhere around $500. I don't know if the dash would even have enough space. I have a john Deere water temp gauge from a restoration that was the wrong one. Too short, but will be just long enough for this application.

The original hitch wasnt a bad design, but a 2" receiver is just so much more handy. $16 from PA plus a little plate to weld on the back. Should be handy.

Had a guy at work look up NTN SBX bearings for the axles. Word from NTN is that they are OEM proprietary. As in, Argo only. Though, Motion Industries lists them for sale on their site. Oh well. Hope that stuff shows up this week still.

The old idea mill never stops turning. Have a few plans to flesh out still in my head. Once parts start coming in, you guys should see some actual action on here.

Transmission bearings! Woohoo! Seals should be here tomorrow morning. Hopefully my differential comes soon. Will update you guys tonight on work accomplished.

Got half the bearings in tonight. Most of the bearings that I took out were Nachi bearings as well. They were ZZ instead of 2RS like what I put in, but I did take the seals out on the internal side. We generally just use 2RS at work as we repair electric motors.

Half the differential is done. Gotta wait for my new cage to do the other half.

Punched out grease nipples.

Drilled out.

Tap turned about 1/3 of the way in was about just right.

Turned in just slightly past flush.

All 8 done and ready to put in.

Seriously thinking about doing this for the back four bearings as well. If I don't have to lift the floor pan to grease, makes it easy. Would only be another $12....

Wow that's just great I can see that working really well for greasing bearings and all of em.

Now you have me thinking about a chain luber setup. Hmm...

My axles are completely different and I just hit each one with a grease gun on the outside to lube the bearings. Simple but awkward. Now you have me wondering HOW I can accomplish this technique!

All this will pay off for you HUGE in the end, you'll have a machine which will rock for sure
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Got a call from dealer last night, my cage is in, and the gaskets. WOOT! Will pick them up tonight on my way home. Won't have time this weekend to work on it, unfortunately. Monday night though.

Stopped by Princess Auto again, took all their remaining pneumatic fittings. Have just enough to do the back ones now too. Another job for Monday night.

Still no word from TEAM about a clutch... hopefully soon.
    Last edited by Rudy_Magnum; 10-03-2014 at 08:28 PM.

did you get an owner ship with it rudy?

Got parts today! Looks great! Wish I could work on it this weekend. Getting excited for what its gonna turn out like when its all done!

Have been looking at some tires. Probably not reality right now. Its a lot to spend all at once... We'll see after a year or so.

A bit more work done tonight. Got the differential back together.*

It all went back together without a problem. Couldn't get it all back in the case yet. Supplier of our oil seals screwed up and didn't send them. They said they'll be here tomorrow, but that doesn't help me today. Oh well.*

Did the last four fittings for the rear inner bearing flanges. All the inside flanges are now set up for remote greasing. Sweet!

Thought I'd give the primary clutch another try after the penetrating oil worked its magic for a few weeks. Put an electrical cord down the cylinder (couldn't find any rope in the shop) and gave the clutch a good twist and it screwed right off! Now, the question is, should I use it again? It is worn a bit down where the belt engages. What do you guys think? Is it too worn?*

Also, the bushing is gonna need some love. It is just flopping loose on the shaft, and you can tell it has been for a while. If I can run this for a bit, then upgrade to a TEAM roller clutch later, I think that might get the green light from the wifey. *

When I get the tranny back together I will set things up for some measurements. Need to find out the distance between the crank and tranny input shaft so I can try to be as close to that as possible with the diesel, so an original belt will still fit.

I'm looking forward to doing a little fabricating for the engine mounts. Have to figure out a way to incorporate the rubber mounts from the reefer, so I don't rattle the machine apart. I don't really want to go and cut into and do anything not easily reversible to the power pack plate. I'm kind of a stickler for being able to put things back the way they were if something doesn't work out. The other option is getting another power pack plate to modify. Anyone?

Got my seals today, finally!

+ Reply to Thread