Carrol Stream Died on me, What to put in it's place.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carrol Stream Died on me, What to put in it's place.

Carrol Stream Died on me, What to put in it's place.

So my hustler had a Carroll Stream 16hp in it when i bought it. I installed nice splined axles, rebuild all the tensioners, new tires, roof the whole 10 yards. Except for the engine, only had 20 hours on it. Took it out to get a moose with it and the little clone died. No compression.

So question is what to install in it's place?

Vanguard 23HP?
    Honda?
    I was thinking about the Winson 22 HP diesel from A! biofuels but am leery of another Chinese made motor?

What is the most reliable? I use this thing for remtoe hunting in Alaska.

What lasts the longest?

Thanks
    Steven Untiet

Hard to go wrong with a Honda!

You have a lot to consider, a Duromax 16 hp is around $350, similar to what you had. If you are remote as you indicate I would go with either a Kohler or Honda, both super reliable, B&S nearly as good, all three of these cost considerably more.

I've had good luck with the Winsun 25 hp which is basically the same as the 22hp you are thinking about. I'd also consider a Generac motor.

I am not remote I live in Anchorage. But go far of the road. And shipping here is a good chunk of the cost. How long have you had your winsun? i am worried more about parts. And support.
    I don't want the duromax. I want more horses anyway. Kinda leaning twords honda There is some support up here for them.
    Steven Untiet

Steven, if the choices are wide open I'd go with the Honda. You just cannot beat them for dependability. Also, as you stated, they are well supported here in Alaska. I have found they are comparable in price to other quality engines but are so low maintenance that you make up any difference in the long run. It is almost impossible to put a price on the dependability part when you are several days walk from the nearest road... especially if you only have food to last a day and a half!

Mike

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...m-engines.html

Had 2 carrol stream engines die. Tore them down and looked like clearance issue on the crank. I replaced them with harbor freight 16hp engines and we beat the snot out of them and keep coming back for more.

The Winsun I have has about 100 hours on it. No issues. I do agree with your thinking on the Honda though, their products are pretty much bullet proof. Its fairly easy to tweak the jets in the carb for a cheap power boost too.

Small Kubota or Lambordini or Yanmar diesel....can't go wrong with any of those????
    Last edited by riotwarrior; 08-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I like the thought of a Diesel but it would be the only diesel in my little group of people, so no fuell sharing either way!

I think i'll go with a Honda, the GX630. It'll give me almost a 30% horse power increase and the reliability i am looking for.

Thanks
    Steven Untiet

i love my kubota about as reliable as it gets i would take it over a honda any day
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread