Argo vanguard engine upgrade to kohler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo vanguard engine upgrade to kohler

Argo vanguard engine upgrade to kohler

I have wanted to upgrade my 16hp briggs for some time now and I recently came across what I think is a good deal for a 23hp kohler command pro. Has anyone ever used this motor? And if so what else if anything would I have to do/get to make it possible. Any help would be awesome here's the link to the motor if that helps 23HP V-Twin Kohler Engine

Good engines, need to check the size of the crank. many have a 1-1/8 pto

I have a 27hp command pro in my max 4 and it is an awesome motor! It started life with a 18hp vanguard and there is no comparison.. Norm..

Would I be able to use the stock clutch? If not what exactly would I need to make it work?

Check the crank it looks big and long, long is not to hard to handle but too big is an issue. 1-1/8 max for clutches one inch is what you'll have now.

The 1 1/8 clutches are pricier than the 1" clutches too. On the upside, the Kohler has hydraulic valve adjustment so it will eliminate the necessity of adjusting the valves every 100 hours or so as the engine will do it automatically, and you will really appreciate the hp and torque increase.

The Argo Frontier I have has a 23 (B&S) and while the Briggs isn't my favorite engine, horsepower is just about right, so the Kohler 23 will be a great upgrade.

I have a CH20 and a CH23,both 1-1/8" shaft. I use an 1195 drive clutch. I've had both in my green poly sumptincheif and really did not notice much difference between the two. They both have plenty of grunt. I too,like my Kohler engines.

I really appreciate all the information, I just found out the crank shaft is 1 7/16. Does anyone know the recommended drive clutch that can be paired with that size.

Kohler makes the 23hp with a 1&1/8th shaft as well. That's the one you need. There are 1& 7/16 clutches out there but they are extremely expensive. A Kohler 20hp would also work well for you.

I will never buy another B&S motor,

Normable1973 - What's the model number on the 27HP Command?

+ Reply to Thread