built 18hp vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: built 18hp vanguard

built 18hp vanguard

A friend of mine just had a 18hp vanguard motor built and it's now putting out 45hp. The motor is in a golf cart but I'm sure the company can do the same for our 6x6's. It's carts-plus online. I've contacted them, just waiting for a reply.

How much and what's the details about the motor,,,,, pistons, deck height, head work etc. I built an 18hp Vanguard myself, but I dont believe that its putting out 45hp,, more like 30, but I never dyno'ed so I'm not for sure. I do know of a member (Racerone3 to be exact) that has a 40hp vanguard that was an 18hp previously, and it is a complete beast,,, so I'm eager to find out more about what you have to offer. I do think that 45hp out of the 18 will decease the durability of the motor,,, leaving you with a power-house motor than needs constant maintenance and tinkering with. I think that 45hp from a 23hp Vanquard would prove to me more reliable because it is based on a larger, heavier and more SOLID block. What do you think? I love engine talk, so dont hold back the convo!! lol!! Site member Nubs is a very knowledgeable engine guy as well with lots of "know-how". Maybe once you get the info back he can chime in and bless the post with his insight!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

hi
    Speed costs money ,How fast do u want to go ??
    Torque wins races hp sells engines ..
    briggs 18hp is 35 cuin
    Twin carbs
    good exhaust
    good valve train and a hotter camshaft
    advanced timing
    forged pistons
    billet connecting rods

fuel, pump fuel or race gas

The cylinder heads are the most restrictive component
    If u get 1 hp per cubic inch u will need extensive flow changes to the cylinder heads
    The current bandalero / 600 racing camshaft is way way large for this engine .[max rpm 5600] This is due to the heads being restrictive . The engine is sucking thru a straw!!! If the heads were more appropriate the cam could be smaller . The result would be more bottom end with good top end breathing .The development of a cylinder head with a matched cam would cost $$..
    It is easier to rev an engine to make power but not the best way .
    To make huge hp is not that difficult but to make your torque occur where in the rev u require it is the challenge .
    Bench racing is well only interesting to some people.
    If u can make 45hp with reliability and a huge chunk of torque that would be great 4 a 6x6
    tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 10-05-2014 at 10:46 AM.

I love the sound the V twins make, so cool throaty and just sounds mean yet I'm still a fan of diesels for a work horse type of machine.

Any engine is or can be modified as mentioned, and it is directly related to breathing as they are just air pumps thats it.

How the air gets in and out, and when is what is critical.

I have not seen much on turbo or supercharging the engines used in these machines and wonder why that is? Anyone have any ideas about that? If you are going to do all the mods, with custom pistons and rods and cam, why not forced induction? What about N2O, I see it on bikes but not these machines LOL then again these are work/play machines.

If I can I'll find another engine the same as mine I'll blue print the diesel and see about what can be done to get a bit more than ahem..14 hp out of it. FUEL and AIR is all it takes but as I said, how and when is what matters. I'm turning upwards of 4K on my diesel now...hmm....

Well I'm in watching this thread for sure...should be some good chatter going on.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Bench Racing...

There's not enough exhaust flow to spin a turbo and way to much lag time, they never worked right for me anyways. The later style 18hp blocks are the same as the 23's except bore size, same crank stroke, rods, cam etc. one can run 23 heads on the 14,16,18's as well as the other way around with matched intake manifold. exhaust flanges are also different. most what I build go into pulling tractors so its all about torque for me. to say that the heads don't breath does not add up to me, these will spin 10K and the only way that's gonna happen is if it can get the air/fuel in and let it out, just takes a little work. I've had much better torque in the pullers with one carb than two, I've tried it more than once
    under 2K in hard parts will get you a very reliable bullet proof mill and that includes a brand new block
    45HP out of a 18 @ the wheel? not on pump gas IMO..

If ya like doin' stuff yourself this is great easy to use port cleaning kit. do the work and press in the new valve guide when your done

GOODSON : Engine Building Tools and Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by gkp View Post
    A friend of mine just had a 18hp vanguard motor built and it's now putting out 45hp. The motor is in a golf cart but I'm sure the company can do the same for our 6x6's. It's carts-plus online. I've contacted them, just waiting for a reply.
    Any updates the HO 18Hp Vanguard?

Hey nubs, after talking to my buddy I've found he's full of cr@$. All he had done was the high performance cam, rev kit, and exhuast. After doing research here there is no way he is getting the power he boasted. Chalk one up for me being an over-exuberant noobie. My apologies for getting everyone's hopes up.

+ Reply to Thread