Walbro carb won't puel fuel properly

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Walbro carb won't puel fuel properly

Walbro carb won't puel fuel properly

Hi there.

I got a 1986 Hustler 900 with the G50B Chaparral. The carburetor is Walbro WDA-30. I had the pump rebuild, and the carb adjusted. It runs just for a couple of minutes, and then stalls, cause the pump won't pull the fuel out of the tank. It idles just fine, as long as I want it to. But if I wanna drive it, it runs sometimes 10-15 minutes, sometimes it stalls after a minute.
    I replaced the vacuum hose, which is driving the fuel pump, but it just wont work. If I put a jerry can near the carburetor, it runs fine, too.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Remove the gas tank filler cap, does that solve your problem?

I'd check the fuel filter too.

If I'm remembering rightly, the Walbro WDA has an internal fuel pump and shouldn't require an outside pulse pump. If the internal pump is bad or partially plugged, the extra pump may not be sufficient to push fuel through it and supply the engine at more than an idle. You may want to put a kit in the WDA and do away with the extra pump, or better yet, swap the Walbro out with a Mikuni VM 34 or 36 and have far fewer problems.

Good Luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

It's right, that the fuel pump is a part of the carburetor. Like I said, I had the carb and pump disassembled, cleaned and put together with new gaskets.
    I have a new fuel filter and new fuel lines. I tried removing the fuel filler cap, but didn't help either. Don't know what to do. I can't run an electrical pump, since the carb floods.
    The pulse comes from the crankcase. I tried both sides, same thing.
    I also thought about swapping to a mikuni, but I won't give up yet.

Most 2 strokes that run a pulse fuel pump of any kind will not run right if the crankshaft seals are bad. if it runs fine on a gravity feed tank that could very well be the problem.

Is fuel line collapsing? Is there a screen in the tank?
    Is there a bug in the tank? Found that once on a tractor.

I found the problem. The fuel petcock was clogged. There was more dirt in the gas tank, than I could see with a flash light. I pulled the tank today, cleaned it, cleaned the petcock and put everything back together. I hadn't the time to text it today, but I'm sure that was the problem. I also put a Mikuni VM 40 on the engine. I'll drive it tomorrow, and I'll let you know.

+ Reply to Thread