Kid 8x8 Timing of Wisconsin VH4D

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kid 8x8 Timing of Wisconsin VH4D

Kid 8x8 Timing of Wisconsin VH4D

I had my engine rebuilt and installed it in the kid without drives and oil cooler so that I could time the engine and break it in before mounting up the rest of the hardware. Now that the Kid is fully assembled and running, I wonder how kid owners time their machines with the timing hole covered up by the oil cooler? I thought I would be able to see through the oil cooler enough to find the timing hole on the flywheel shroud. Does not look possible. The Kid manual references a timing disc for use on the rear output shaft, do any of you use one? Are you guys just timing by ear? Any help would be appreciated. I assume too retarded generates heat, and too advanced creates a backfire through the carb. Too retarded equals engine destruction, too advanced runs poorly. Sounds like the error should be towards too advanced? Thanks, Bill

48 people read this post and not one person has an idea of how to handle this? How many kid owners read this? You guys have never timed your motors? I'm not complaining, just a little surprised at the crickets. Bill

A degree wheel on the pto and a dial indicator in the spark plug hole to find TDC on the compression stroke is the only way I would know how to do it, I don't own a unit like you have but engines are engines. they all time the same

Same engine was used in Bobcat 600-610 skid steer loaders. You may find more information searching those machines just because there were so many more units produced.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks for the replies.

The problem with a degree wheel is the limited space available around the PTO shaft. It is really tight in there. I suppose I could make one on the CAD system at work, but it will have to have maybe a three or four inch diameter. Every time I have called Bobcat for parts or possible service they give me the brush off. They did put me onto a rebuilder who wanted twice what I got it rebuilt for. I will find a way somehow to get a proper timing with the engine completely assembled and installed. Anyone have a factory Kid degree wheel? Thanks, Bill

Find TDC like Nubs said. Make a mark on something that spins. Make some sort of pointer mounted on something that doesn't move. Put the distributor in with the rotor pointed at #1 when the engine is a TDC. Fire up the engine and turn the distributor until your marks line up using a variable timing light set at the desired timing.

Maybe there is a procedure listed in the Kid manual for where their timing marks may be on the old Wisco with the cooler?

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I ran into the same problem when I rebuilt my KID wisconsin. I ended up just timing it by ear. I'd also like to find a way to set it with a light

I bought a KID back in Sept and have been working on getting it back into good running service. I was facing the same issue and talked to a guy out of PA who had some insight. He stated that the key on the PTO shaft is in the vertical position at TDC, and also said that the engine advances 23 degrees at 2000 rpm or greater. I'm going to paint a mark on the PTO 23 degrees off TDC, then use the light. When the mark rotates to vertical, it should be set. I've been going over the VH4D repair manual and it has some good figures to help. Looks pretty straight forward......

I had some Wisconsins years ago. Welders, generators etc. Good old engines to be sure. Best I remember there was a timing mark on the flywheel and another on the distributor (yours may have a magneto). This may point you in the right direction.

The set up on the KID is that the engine is down in the hull, and the flywheel is set up against a bulkhead and a large oil cooler. Unfortunately, the fly wheel is not accessible. When they were built in 1970 there was an adapter you could place on the PTO to work a timing light off the back end of the engine, but I've never seem one, only read about them.

+ Reply to Thread