Spark plugs for Conquest

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs for Conquest

Spark plugs for Conquest

I have a 2002 conquest with the FD 620 Kawasaki V-twin, sounds simple. The plugs that are in it are NGKBPR4es. I got Champion RN14YC (405) for replacements because that's what I could find. Now comes the confusion. The manual says Kawasaki changed the heads on the FD620 after VIN.# CB17---( I'm guessing the last 6 or 7 characters in the VIN. #) and the new plugs will damage the heads because they are too long. Does anyone else have this conflict the? Cross reference tables say their a match however the Champions do appear to be a little longer.

if they are longer,dont put them.get the proper ngk plugs.

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.

If your champions are slightly (like 1/32) longer no problem if they came with compression seals ( metal rings), but I would still run the NGK's as they are correct and a much better plug. If your plugs did not foul, you could order new ones and continue to run them until a new proper set comes in.
    The earlier machines plugs were half as long and piston contact is possible with newer bpr4es in them.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

my '96 conquest had that happen.previous owner put the wrong plugs in and marked the piston top and heads pretty bad.when I bought it the head gasket was leaking coolant into the cylinder but I lucked out and salvaged the head with a little massage.

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:39 PM.

The new NGK BPR4ES plugs are longer than the old ones? Good grief!!! I looked at several cross reference tables to check but I wonder how often they are up dated. Deedeelin1 I'm curious, If your not running NGK's what are you running, if you don't mind taking a look that would be great. I'm tempted to put in the new plugs and roll the engine over by hand,( key and plug wires off) to see if there is contact, maybe not a good idea,any contact will leave a mark and thats not good. 200 hundred miles round trip to Fairbanks from Delta jct.

The early kaw's ran bmp4a? (letters may be slightly off but the 4a is a shorter threaded plug like a champion cj8 and the j17lm)threads were half the legnth, if your engine had the bpr4es in it running ok you should be good. Rolling engine over is a good idea.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Joe the difference between the short plugs and the long ones is about 3/8". The older ones take the short plug and it has just over 1/4" of total threads. To add fuel to the fire I like the champion plugs.

+ Reply to Thread