Frontier 23 hp Briggs

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frontier 23 hp Briggs

Frontier 23 hp Briggs

Bud of mine bought himself a barely used Frontier 6x6 with a 23 Briggs air cooler,he is having a bad time starting in the cold seems like he chokes it forever and has to run with a bunch of choke till its hot,a very cold hearted rig,and Iam talking about the 10 degrees F and below,anybody got some experience on these is there richer jetting available or can you make adjustment to compensate?I can not advise him as fuel injection has put issues like that a long way in the past,that said my MaxIV isnt as bad in the cold.Cheers NCT

My Briggs is pretty cold blooded, but I have not had that big of an issue. Of course, my temps are usually a bit warmer than that.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Yea know what your sayin Drew but I have seen this thing tryin to start and it takes a S*** load of cranking to bring it too life,nice machine but here in the cold country better bring a battery pack,on a off topic my Super Duper Chief starts fine at well below Zero.NCT

Those B&S 23s are jetted lean, mine is not only hard to start in the winter (in Texas of all places) and runs very poorly in hot weather. In the heat it snaps and pops and runs like an 18hp does in terms of power.

Luckily it runs pretty good Sept to November, and then March thru April. That's when I do most of my riding.

EFI fixes many problems as does Kohler engineering. No more B&S 23s for me.

All B&S seem to start hard and do not like the cold, my 16 starts hard in hot and harder in cold, though once to temp it starts before the starter is up to speed. When this is hot and battery is dead it'll start about 1/4 rope.
    Have heard the aftermarket Mikuni does help and is much more responsive, also can be tuned for alt..

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

One will tie up the better part of $450 to upgrade to the Mikiuni but all the Briggs 23hp issues are solved, out performs any EFI's in the long run (expect fuel consumption) and as said before can be easily tuned and is way more forgiving with climate change.

EFI is great but i My opinion is not something I would want out in the bush

Thanks Jim and Nubs,I will pass the info on the Mikuni to my Bud and let him decide,and Nubs I do understand your position on EFI,but I must say I have lived with it on my Avenger since 03 and yes it did let me down in the bush and yes it was a EFI issue and took a new computer to fix not something I could whittle out of wood and get me home and I was pretty sour about it at the time.That said it has been reliable since and nice to not have to deal with chokes and cold weather starts the reliability factor has been good and today's new and improved(its to be hoped) should give even better service.NCT

+ Reply to Thread