Intermittant Solenoid Failure?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermittant Solenoid Failure?

Intermittant Solenoid Failure?

The starter on my 2005 Avenger with a 25hp Kohler will not work some of the time, particularly when it's cold. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. I can hear the solenoid working but the starter does not spin. The battery is good and when I jump the battery directly to the starter it starts right up, so I suspected the solenoid. I removed the solenoid and tested it as per the Kohler manual and it works perfectly. It always actuates and I get continuity across the starter terminals every time. The solenoid seems to be sealed and not serviceable.
    Has anyone seen a solenoid not work some of the time?

I had the same problem with my 18hp Briggs. Would start one minute, the next time it would not! Bazoo guy told me to change the starter! I thought the problem was the solenoid! To make a long story short, I changed the starter and my problems went away! Note: this was only a cold weather problem!
    Last edited by tattooman; 02-23-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Same issue as Avenge Bob with a Frontier,same fix a the tattooman new starter,that said we went with a heavy duty solenoid as used on the old Ford cars for extra measure,and it was only a issue in the cold and intermittent.NCT

I am reluctant to replace the starter when it does work. If I hook the positive on the battery directly to the starter it runs just fine and the engine starts. The issue seems to be with the solenoid. I notice from some other threads that there have been issues with the ground to the generator.

Bob, having same issue though will not get to it next week. Did you measure the voltage at solenoid? Next did you measure voltage at output terminal? If your wire or terminal is exposed to starter test voltage there and post if so equiped also.

As an example I've pulled tractor solenoids off, opened them, and found burns and/or corrosion.

Jim

See edit; machine did sink fyi.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 02-23-2015 at 07:39 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Automotive solenoid can be bought super cheap anywhere and simple to wire to know for sure,we tried that on this Frontier and still the same problem but these Briggs are known for starters,my Avenger has never had a issue in a dozen years.

Good suggestions. I will report back after I have had a chance to look at it again.

Finally got back to my problem after going South for a few weeks. I noted a similar issue in the thread, "Electrical Help Please" and ran a ground wire directly to one of the mounting bolts on the starter. Problem solved! Now the starter spins up every time. Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread