747cc Kohler Command Pro efi engine differences

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 747cc Kohler Command Pro efi engine differences

747cc Kohler Command Pro efi engine differences

I have been wondering what the differences are between the 23 hp, 25 hp, & 29 hp 747cc Kohler engines. Is it just the cams?

Good question, maybe the carburetors? I don't know about the Kohlers but the Briggs 14HP and 16HP Vanguards are the same (480cc displacement) except for the carbs and little removable restrictor rings they put in the exhaust ports of the heads.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Near as I can ascertain the 23 hp is a 694cc engine with a shorter stroke than the 747cc 25, 27, 29 hp engines. The new frontier has a 25 hp in it as per the serial number. Since I purchased one I have been browsing thru the Kohler manual. All specs and parts appear to be the same, including injectors. Since it is EFI i would guess the tune is different. The torque on all three 747cc units is almost the same. So I am debating chipping it. Not sure it is worth it. But I probably will anyway lol.

I am trying to figure out a way to mount an alternator on it though.

Hope this helps and if anyone has different info please add it. By no means am I an authority.

I believe the above efi Kohler is the same engine. The tuning may be slightly different. I believe the actual engine size is around 747cc. It does have an on board diagnostics port which should allow for a reflash to the upper hp range if applicable, I believe however the engine is a rebadged version of the 29hp.

I doubt that any dealers will chime in on this due to obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 04-15-2015 at 08:00 PM.

That's what I was thinking. You can bump that Argo Frontier to 29 hp. That's what I'm talking about.

Nice find, let us know when you get the unit installed and report on the performance.

If it's EFI, it doesn't have a carburetor. It does however have a throttle body, which is similar to a carb, except it doesn't have a needle/seat, or float bowl, only has a butterfly throttle valve to control how much air is being let into the intake manifold. That being said: when it comes to powering up or down on any fuel injected engine, changes to the cam can be made, but the biggest thing is the size of the injectors which it's using. Smaller injectors equal less power, larger injectors equal more power. If you upsize the injectors then you'll need someone to also get into your control module, and tell it what you've done, so it can make the necessary adjustments for the timing, and pulse length in miliseconds, ect. ect. It can be done, but you have to know what your doing, and/or get a smart tech to help you out with that. I've worked on fuel injection systems for many years, and they're not all that complicated to work with, just a bit confusing is all.

You are correct. In this case of the 747 cc Command Pro EFI engines. They all possess the same cam, injectors, etc... The only thing I have found to be different, as per the service manual, are the tune on the ECM and governer setup which are both easily rectified.

Now a byproduct of more power is heat. So climate is a consideration. I am running the hood fan which at 8.1 amps will necessitate an alternator (which I am doing anyway for auxilary power). That will do me. For more cooling you could remote mount the oil cooler with a thermistor controlled fan to get direct cooling. Or possibly into the cold air engine cooling air intake. That opens another can of worms.

Just some of my thoughts.

Regards,

Jeff
    Last edited by needcoffee; 04-22-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Added an alternator to my 2015 Frontier

Pics of my pulley, brackets, and alternator. Should have 80% output available at idle of the 40 amps possible. Had to remove the exhaust metal ducting and do some trimming and reinstall. Now I have the power to run the hood cooling fan and auxillaries.

Works well so far.

Regards,

Jeff
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread