Tecumseh Motor Trouble

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tecumseh Motor Trouble

Tecumseh Motor Trouble

In my hustler, I have what claims to be a 12 horse Tecumseh, based on the sticker on the pullrope. After a shot of starting fluid, the throttle held wide open and a pull or two, it fires right up. However, when I engage the transmission levers, the motor quits. I've tried it with full throttle, and just above idle. Sometimes I can get it moving, but it will randomly quit, sometimes on turns, sometimes uphill, and sometimes just on flat land.

The carb was bathed in a chemical solution (can't recall the name of it), and the spark plug is good and clean. Is it just a problem of the motor not having enough power to move the machine? Or do yall think something else is going on. It has brand new chains and bearings by the way. Transmission has fluid in it. 4 tires have slight flat spots, 2 have major flat spots (I put them in the middle though). Tomorrow I can take the good tires off the max and loan them to the hustler for a test.
    Meep Meep

My best guess is not enough power. I have a kohler 18 and sometimes I wish I had more hp. Sometimes old engines just get worn out and used a lot. 12 hp isn't a lot anyways

Be sure the engine is turning proper rpm, check your belt tension (use the Max as a gauge for feeling). If the hustler has a 2 stroke driven it should go just be slow. It will not be a racer by any means but should pull a good 10-12 mph if the engine and belt are right.
    I have a similar issue put on hold with my 12 Tec., (carb and gov. adjustments needed so it is smooth off the bottom and at idle) try adjusting the carb. or governor to 3600 full out in neutral and try the machine again. If the problem persists, check the compression of the 40 year old engine.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

is this a single cylinder

Well at least mine is, HH120. Don't recall any Tec. twins.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

not a tecumseh man. didnt know if it was a engine out of something else and was a replacement. most of those older tecumseh hh's mainly seen them in garden tractors and such. think i would rather push what than ride a tecumseh

Yes certainly not winning any races, but they all have tons of torque. My HH was from a Scrambler which was stock in the 1200's but I'm keeping as a spare for my (one year) Bolens 1220.

yes i had an old tractor that had one in it as well with an ole mule drive and plow and such. when it was running and if you could keep it running right it had plenty of non stop power with the low range gears. just getting it to perform right like it should was the whole day itself. best i can remember it back when is the valves like to stick causing low or no power issues when it wasnt the carb. didnt mean to get off topic.

Alright. Found out my primary clutch is bad. Didn't notice it before, but right now it is sitting fully engaged and I cant get it to slide back in. The belt was riding the top of it. Took it off and it rattles. Looks like to get it apart, I'll have to cut two welds (no big deal), the question is, is should I, or will I have a problem getting it back together?

Found a go kart for sale on craigslist for 350. Has a good running vanguard v twin 16 horse. Started right up. Paid the guy and took it home. I may swap it into the hustler. It doesn't have a clutch on it though.
    Meep Meep

Don't cut any welds! Check the transmission forum for rebuild info..

+ Reply to Thread