Briggs Vanguard wont shut off?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Briggs Vanguard wont shut off?

Briggs Vanguard wont shut off?

Some wont start, mine wont stop! I am correcting a list of things wrong with my just purchased 93 Argo. Not sure how the factory kill switch was originally on the 16hp vanguard, but on this one there were two separate toggle switches that individually grounded each coil to stop the engine. One switch still works and stops one cylinder but the other switch is not killing the other coil, replaced the switch and same thing. The only way to shut it totally down is to pull of the one cylinders plug wire. Seems like the red wire leading to that coil has opened up somewhere inside the housing.
    Is this a problem you guys have seen before? How was the factory kill switch set up?
    1993 Argo vanguard

Sounds like the ground wire on the one switch isnt making a good connection!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

No, I actually cut the wire from the coil on that bank and manually ground it, no effect. so the wire has to be open inside the housing somewhere I guess
    1993 Argo vanguard

Smile Brigg won't shut off...

Hi Mike, i got the same problem on my 18hp brigg, and the reason for the second cylinder not shutting off is that in the wire is a diode( i hope this is the same name in english as in french) and this diode is busted. When it's busted it will NOT conduct at all and by the way not shut down your engine.

I got the same problem and my engine was giving me a lot of misfire problem caused by that. I even tough it was a coil problem...I unplug everything on both coils and he was running very well....

If you want to be sure that your diode is busted, remove the cover exposing your coils, unplug the coil who isn't sutting off, plug an other wire (with a female terminal at the end, coil side) on this same coil. Start the engine and try to shut it down with the switch( the one that's still works) on one side and with your wire on a ground on the engine and it will shut off right away...

To repair this back to normal, with one wire for shutting both cylinder, you 'll gonna need a new wire (B&S number 692319) if I'm right... I didn't repair mine yet, i have to pull choke to stop it!!! some time it won't stop either!!!!! Let me know how it goes....

Martin

Thanks Martin, good info, didnt want to pull the housing off, but I guess theres no way around it. I'm tired of having to pull plug wires to stop the thing!
    1993 Argo vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Thanks Martin, good info, didnt want to pull the housing off, but I guess theres no way around it. I'm tired of having to pull plug wires to stop the thing!
    on the briggs your cut off runs through the voltage reg . so your you ground wire is come looses check the yellow wire going to the voltage reg. robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

I just had a problem with my 14 hp Vanguard. It was only firing on one cylinder. I checked that the wire that connects the two coils together had a blown diode on one side. The side that wasn't firing. I removed the wire assembly all together and it ran great except it wouldn't shut off. I had to pull the plug wires to get it to shut down. I replaced the wire and it runs great and shuts down perfectly.

Cheap fix for blown diodes on coils to shut down

My 23hp Briggs is having the same problem. Took off the diode harness to the coils, and took them apart to find the p/n on the diode. Its a IN4007.
    1000V You can get them at any electronic store. Their about .50 a piece. Make your own harness and check the polarity of the diodes and solder in the new diodes on your wires and use srink tube and thats it... Or George from the Heymow site said you can get them from a Briggs parts dealer for around $9.00 for the whole harness with diodes installed. But Im a cheap ass and will always do it myself plus its FUN.........

Coil grounding

One poster said that the shutoff circuit goes thru the voltage regulator and that is not true. Two sepreat systems. The yellow wire is from the alternator
    behind the flywheel and goes the voltage regulator and out to charge the battery....

+ Reply to Thread