two-stroke brain fart idea

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: two-stroke brain fart idea

two-stroke brain fart idea

Ok. So, I have to start this by saying that my awesome father-in-law has been a small engine man for over 30 years. He's like a walking microfiche for B&S engines. Enough about that, haha. Well, he and I were working on a few old pieces of mowing equipment the other day and 2-stroke engines and their ability to run either direction came up. He told me about a guy that had a chainsaw that was brought in because is wouldn't cut, even with a new chain. When he started it, it was running backwards. I thought that was kinda cool. Well, as I was mowing my several acres of grass today, I had a thought about the old 2-stroke machines that have no reverse. I know this wouldn't be easily accomplished, but how cool would it be to have a reversible starter. Say a switch on the dash that changes polarity to the starter and allows it to run in reverse and start the engine backwards. Then, the old machines that have no reverse, would now have reverse. This idea may have been born out of the lack of water, or the severe heat while I was mowing. Still, it would be neat. Oh well.... I'm sure some of you will get a kick out of this, but I bet it will get someone thinking. Have a great weekend! Now, I'm headed to put PB Blaster on a bunch of rusty parts!
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

i,m pretty sure one of the videos i have watched of maybe a pengor penquin atv or whatever it is called did exactly that for reverse. someone will let us know. i remember thinking what a cool way to get reverse. also i could be wrong..... j.b.

thars not a brain fart my 1970 avenger has that in it . the starter generator reversec the motor and the gas peddle has a micro switch to start the motor if i ever get it going

stoney , punch in '' pengor penguin aatv video'' and it shows the reverse motor. j.b.

YAY!! Glad to know my old brain has some decent ideas still. Wonder if my TT does this. I noticed the key turned both directions when I was looking at it yesterday.
    Immature. A word used by boring people to describe fun people.

yea, i assume the key direction changes the polarity on the starter or something like that ! someone will explain in detail. johnboy va.

The only engines I've seen that can accomplish the reversing start were equipped with a starter/generator like (I assume) the Penguin does. I've never seen a conventional gear starter that could do it and I'm not sure it would be possible without using two individual starter motors. Reversing the direction of the starter wouldn't be a big problem, but the starter drive bendix only works in one direction.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I have seen an old Mercury snowmobile with two starters to get reverse. Some old 2 stroke Diesel engines have been known to run backwards after stalling on uphill pull and roll back, but they don't oil then.

most all golf carts til the late 80s ran 2 cycles with starter/gens, started backwards for reverse.

Last edited by Nubs; 07-17-2016 at 06:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread