white smoke on argo avenger

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: white smoke on argo avenger

white smoke on argo avenger

Hi guys, I have a problem. I have read that white smoke happens when there is a blown gasket. The causes for blown head gasket is overheating. It happens last spring in a cold weather and I never saw the engine overheating. Everything was going ok then on the next day it started to smoke ( white). Beside overheating what cans cause that white smoke.
    Also what is the compression on the kolher 26 hp from the avenger 2004 and what about the torque.
    Thank you
    Jacquelin
    Jack

Generraly white smoke means whater is getting into the cylinder somewhere. I would assume failed gasket... Gaskets can fail for reasons other than over-temp.

I would do a bunch of testing, if the smoke appeared over winter it is possible the block froze.
    Check what you antifreeze protection level is at. Is radiator low? Water in oil? etc....

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

This 26HP Kohler from 2004 is liquid cooled? Regardless, white smoke is steam (burning coolant). A blown head gasket is the most likely cause, a cracked block or head is the worst case scenario.
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 07-18-2016 at 07:27 PM.

My favorite test is remove the rocker arms which you will have to during tear down anyway. Fill radiator completly so coolant seals the fill neck. Remove spark plugs and apply air pressure to cylinders 100 psi minimum. If you get coolant pushing out of radiator you have a leak internally. usually only need to apply air for a few seconds if it is leaking. Expect to resurface the heads when apart. A piece of wet sandpaper taped to flat glass will do nicely if you spend a few minutes at it. Good luck

Hi thank you guys. I just checked the compression and both are equal at 175. The dealer told me that they should be around 130 he thinks. So if the compression is good what could be the problem for that white smoke?
    Jack

Are you losing coolant? Is there any signs of water in your oil? Is it milky at all? Pull your plugs and take a look at them, they should be tan in colour and have some traces of carbon on them. If your burning coolant one or both will be spotlessly clean, as in steam cleaned lol.

White smoke can also be from bad fuel, the new mixed fuels break down quickly, and belch white, and smell kind of putrid.

I just started the argo. It starts like a brand new one. After a minute or so a heavy white smoke come out with a bit of black smoke for a second or two then no more black smoke. The white smokes is so heavy I can't see around me. The oil seems ok and the plugs are ok
    Jack

If it is coolant the smoke smells of antifreeze and can give a bitter taste in the mouth. I would air test it.

+ Reply to Thread