20hp carb and intake on 18 B&S

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20hp carb and intake on 18 B&S

20hp carb and intake on 18 B&S

I've got a built up 18hp Vanguard in my Argo, I've done the research here and found the part numbers I need for the 20 horse intake and carb. Is there anything else I need to make this conversion? I've got tons of power at the top but the engine stutters/stalls until the revs build, reckon this will help?

This thread lays out everything you need to make the conversion: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...ification.html

As for the stuttering/stalling, I think I would figure out the problem first without sinking any money into the new intake and carburetor unless you just want to upgrade anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This thread lays out everything you need to make the conversion: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...ification.html

As for the stuttering/stalling, I think I would figure out the problem first without sinking any money into the new intake and carburetor unless you just want to upgrade anyway.
    Typically with small engines you will have some stutter under acceleration because the carbs are meant to run at a constant speed (think lawnmower, set speed and run it all day). The other reason is that to meet emissions regulations, they have to run these engines on the lean side. make sure your main jet is clean, and even drill it out a few thousandths and see if that helps you on acceleration.

Edit: you will probably encounter some of the same issues with the 20hp carb. same solution applies, but on the 20 you have 2 jets and they are a bigger pain in the rear to get to
    Last edited by racerone3; 08-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks! I was told by the builder that the lag was caused by the smaller carb. My motor has a new cam, 16hp heads, rev kit. Runs good up top but bogs down low.

Did the machine have the lag stock and is it the same carb.?
    If so, get the carb. done ultrasonically before you buy what you may end up with, what you get used may have the same issue.

When you get to that point. If you can go Mikuni slide you may be better.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Was the ignition timing changed? some guys try the modified flywheel key. if it does, take it out and try it. look into a adapter and motorcycle type carb before you spend your money.

Last edited by Nubs; 08-26-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Now that's a great looking adapter. Almost makes me want to build a Briggs around it and a VM36.

Thinking about this carb setup from ec, 690886kit-H Two Barrel Carburetor Kit. Been following threads about it here, anyone else have experience with this carb?

I'm sure you can find a better deal on ebay. Either way the only way to get rid of the bog is to bore out the main jets. I have a bandalero in my racer and the stock jets were 36 thou and it took til I bored them to 62 thou to get arid of most of the bog. If I was going to change carbs again I would go with the slide mukuni

I have made adapters to work off the stock intakes in the past, a little simple fab work on a flange etc..

Vibrant 13032 1 5" 38 1mm O D 90 Degree Mandrel Bend | eBay

Mikuni TM TMX Flat Valve Carb 36mm TM36 2 | eBay

+ Reply to Thread