Can heat affect the ignition coil?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can heat affect the ignition coil?

Can heat affect the ignition coil?

Took my Hustler out this weekend for a ride. AWESOME is the only explanation for these machines! I got lots of looks also, as 6 wheelers are rare around here. But, I did run into a problem. This is an opposed 20 horse Briggs engine, by the way.

I rode Saturday for probably 30 minutes, starting and stopping twice, and finally the third time I stopped (I cut it off, it didn't die) it wouldn't crank. A shot of gas in the carb - no hit. Unplug the kill wire - no start. Could feel it firing, although seemed weak (Not the preferred method) but no start. I sent my son to figure out how to get the truck to us and after sitting for 20 minutes or so, it crank right up. I rode for another hour or so and it ran fine (I didn't kill it until it was on the trailer).

I rode yesterday for 3 hours or so and it ran fine, but I didn't kill it. When I trailered it and killed it, it wouldn't crank. After the 15 minute drive home it cranked.

My theory is this: When the coil gets too hot it quits firing. As long as the engine is running its pulling enough air to keep the coil cool. But, when not running heat transfers from the engine to the coil and creates the problem. Let it sit and cool and it cranks.

Have you guys ever seen or heard of this happening?

happens on push mowers all the time. opposed twins have 1 coil that fires both cylinders. it's about $55 for a replacement
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks racer. I did some research after I posted and found this to be the case. I'll replace the coil and test it out......guess I'll have to go riding this weekend!!

I would also shield any fuel lines that are near heat sources. Things can vapor lock pretty easily when they heat soak as well
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Just to clarify when you say no crank you actually mean it was cranking but not firing correct?

Just to clarify when you say no crank you actually mean it was cranking but not firing correct?
    Yes. Starter was working fine. whirling it over just as it should. It took a few minutes to figure a way to get some gas to put in the carb to see if it would hit, but it didn't. By the time I checked for spark it was firing but seemed to be a weak spark, and still wouldn't hit. Only after sitting a while did it fire right up as if nothing in the world was wrong.

Hustler

[QUOTE=dirtdobber;205321]Took my Hustler out this weekend ....

I rode Saturday ... but no start. I sent my son to figure out how to get the truck to us and after sitting for 20 minutes or so, it crank right up. I rode for another hour or so and it ran fine (I didn't kill it until it was on the tra....
    I am sure that you just forgot to mention the part about going to get your son when "it cranked right up". It sounds like others have suggested the problem.Good luck

I am sure that you just forgot to mention the part about going to get your son when "it cranked right up"
    That's a good point. He may still be riding around out there looking for me!! Seriously, he was riding with me on his motorcycle and had gone about 300 yards when it cranked right up. I hustled in my Hustler and caught up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    That's a good point. He may still be riding around out there looking for me!! Seriously, he was riding with me on his motorcycle and had gone about 300 yards when it cranked right up. I hustled in my Hustler and caught up with him.

Put a new coil on it last week and went for a ride....problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread