Building a Bandolero W/governor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Building a Bandolero W/governor

Still waiting on the copper head gaskets so i setup some closed chamber heads for the bandolero HO in another puller that's in the shop.

I'm looking a get 225lbs compression so decided to o ring them

milled .005 to clean up

used a 18/20hp gasket to scribe the cyl location

cut the groove and tap the wire in with a piece of hard nylon, need to make sure the ends of the wire is square so there's no leak. .045 wire so the groove is .43ish wide and .040 deep. need to remember to add the .005 the wire sticks out to your total number for piston to head clearance including gasket thickness and deck height. total of .027 to .032 is the magic numbers. had to sneak the groove up a bit to clear the alignment pins

Last edited by Nubs; 07-05-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Nubs: If you don't mind can you tell me what Header kit you used on the engine in the pic ?
    Thinking of using an off the shelf rather than Fab one up at the shop ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    Nubs: If you don't mind can you tell me what Header kit you used on the engine in the pic ?
    Thinking of using an off the shelf rather than Fab one up at the shop ?
    Thanks
    I have never found a kit that did what i wanted for the 14/20hp, i piece meal it.

1069 EC Exhaust Flange

1" OD 90 Degree 304 Stainless Steel Mandrel Bend - 16 Gauge - 1.5" Radius - New | eBay

the colletor is the hard part to find, this is 1-1/2 inlet but can slit/weld and made to fit the 1" pipe
    Vibrant 10350 2-1 Merge Collectors- 1.5in. Inlet/1.75in. Outlet | eBay

Old school Bandolero setup done, 14hp closed chambered heads, 23hp valves and the Briggs aluminum rockers.
    the 23hp intakes are .080 larger and the exhaust are .055 larger than the 14/20's, installed head studs to save on thread stress from head changes and added compression.
    valve springs and retainers from EC distributing, good for 12K rpms

Last edited by Nubs; 07-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.

know his has nothing to with this thread but it was the last thing i had to do to wrap up this one. hoping to get the head gaskets soon... and back to the other one

These engines in the pullers run flywheels, seems that most run a 17lb wheel

This fella wanted one as heavy as he could get, carved one out of some 8", weighed 48lb after balancing

Last edited by Nubs; 07-05-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Got to keep those rear wheel spinning !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    know his has nothing to with this thread but it was the last thing i had to do to wrap up this one. hoping to get the head gaskets soon... and back to the other one

These engines in the pullers run flywheels, seems that most run a 17lb wheel

This fella wanted one as heavy as he could get, carved one out of some 8", weighed 48lb after balancing

I understand why he wanted it, but... Can the crankshaft, bearings and seal handle it for long? Have you put babbitted bearings in them?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Well I think its crazy myself but it seems to work, made this one 4yrs ago and the guy is still runnin' it. they only run about 45 secs under full rpm/load, this tractor turns 8K and seems smooth
    There is a lot of side load on engine's in some equipment and none here so i don't know. it has a 360 degree guard and runs with full tins, if it does snap off its not gonna be good that's for sure...

Got the head gaskets today, the chambers on the 23hp heads are about .095 wider than the .020 over 18hp bore.

scribed the chamber foot print on the gasket and ground it to match, then transferred that to the block and blended the top of the cylinder to match. guys did this years a
    go on big block GM's etc for valve clearance. Sorry for crappy pictures

Last edited by Nubs; 07-05-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Competition cam with the governor installed on it, any Vanguard reground cam will except the governor assy.

Last edited by Nubs; 07-05-2017 at 06:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread