18 hp briggs and stratton smoking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 18 hp briggs and stratton smoking

Just got home and pulled the other valve cover to compare valve seals, both heads look identical. I guess I might as well pull the head off that side to just to make sure it and the piston and are good and clean them up before I put them back together. If I pull the keepers and take the valves out and clean them while they are off, will I need to re Lap them, or can I just put them back in?
    Last edited by Trapper Dano; 05-02-2017 at 06:55 PM.

If the valve is going back into the same head you should be ok. If it were mine I would spend the extra time and lap them end make sure the have a good seal.

I notice in the pics it looks like only one valve has a stem seal. Shouldn't both valves have a stem seal?

Also are you using a compression tester that somehow allows the sparkplug to remain functional so that you are measuring combustion pressure rather than just raw compression pressure. Not sure any such tool exists but I am grasping at straws trying to explain your readings.

Assuming the compression release is the difference in compression, and assuming the compression reading is high, does the machine have the carbon or steel head gaskets in it? Are they both the same? Is this by chance a Bandolero?

Just grasping at straws, I need to reread this post again.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Its a little late now but i would have unhooked the rocker arms and put the piston on the bad cyl to the bottom of the bore and put a 120lbs in the cyl from a air compressor.

if there's a leak you would of heard it, easy to track it down...

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    If the valve is going back into the same head you should be ok. If it were mine I would spend the extra time and lap them end make sure the have a good seal.
    Thanks I think I might just invest in the tool and the compound.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    I notice in the pics it looks like only one valve has a stem seal. Shouldn't both valves have a stem seal?

Also are you using a compression tester that somehow allows the sparkplug to remain functional so that you are measuring combustion pressure rather than just raw compression pressure. Not sure any such tool exists but I am grasping at straws trying to explain your readings.
    Both heads are identical, the intake and exhaust match up on both sides. And the compression was done plugs out.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Assuming the compression release is the difference in compression, and assuming the compression reading is high, does the machine have the carbon or steel head gaskets in it? Are they both the same? Is this by chance a Bandolero?

Just grasping at straws, I need to reread this post again.
    It has the carbon gaskets in it. Would it be possible to have high compression in only the one cylinder if the compression relief failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Its a little late now but i would have unhooked the rocker arms and put the piston on the bad cyl to the bottom of the bore and put a 120lbs in the cyl from a air compressor.

if there's a leak you would of heard it, easy to track it down...
    Might come to that yet, not making any head way yet.
    Last edited by Mike; 05-03-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: merged four consecutive posts (you can use the "+" button to reply to everyone in the same post)

Reading thru this post, I realize how little i know about small engines. i'm having same problems with my 18h B&S Vanguard. I have very little "go" on throttle, the white smoke, oil / fuel mix from PCV into air cleaner housing. Someone suggested bad rings, i dunno...

Reading thru this post, I realize how little i know about small engines. i'm having same problems with my 18h B&S Vanguard. I have very little "go" on throttle, the white smoke, oil / fuel mix from PCV into air cleaner housing.
    The 18 horse Briggs Vanguard in my Max II is a 4 stroke V twin and (1) doesn't use a PCV valve or (2) oil/fuel mix. The only thing I've ever added to the 87 octane no-ethanol gasoline is Seafoam SF-16 motor treatment. Gobs of white smoke came out the exhaust when I dumped a little down the carb throat. But it now purrs like the proverbial 'kitten' with no more surging.

See what i mean? lol...sometimes i get a mix of oil with gas in it up thru the black rubber tube that comes up into the cleaner housing. There's a brass tube that comes up from between the heads next to the carb, 1/2" diam. rubber tube feeds from that, up into air filter housing. makes sense that you wouldn't vent the crankcase that way(if at all)...

Probably already checked this but, had a 16hp vanguard in a mower acting like yours, float needle was not seating right letting fuel dump into cylinders

+ Reply to Thread