Governor Bypass?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Governor Bypass?

Governor Bypass?

I am trying to bypass the governor on a Kohler Command 20hp engine currently on my Max IV. I appreciate any ideas on how to accomplish this. I purchased a throttle return spring similar to the attached picture which I will have to figure out a way to install as there is currently no return spring. Any ideas on how to connect the throttle cable to the carb or existing carb linkage? Attached are pictures of the current setup with governor. I appreciate any insight or pictures on how this can be accomplished. Please note that I understand the risks associated with bypassing the governor.
    Attached Images

Your throttle cable needs to move 90 degrees so it is the correct direction to attach to the carb. You will need to disconnect the linkage from the governor to the carb. Then fabricate a plate to attach the throttle cable so that it faces the correct direction. You can most likely use the bolt that the choke is attached too.

NUBS !!!
    You know this !
    He will hook you up that's for sure !!

I would make a new cable mount that bolts to governor bracket and run the cable from the right side in the picture like the choke cable is, connect it right to the governor arm where the spring is hooked now. you can adjust the governor arm to the gov shaft so the gov weights have little resistance when the throttle is opened.

If I'm lookin' at it right

Great info thank you guys. I like the idea of connecting the throttle cable to the governor arm. Now to solve my next challenge of getting the throttle to return to idle. See attached picture of the existing return spring (my screwdriver is pointing to it). There is very little tension on this spring which is currently not enough to get it to return to idle, is there anyway to tighten it or to install a stronger​ spring in place of the existing spring? I would much rather do that than try to mount and squeeze an aftermarket return spring in there.
    Attached Images

I'd be very leery of bypassing the governor as opposed to removing it altogether, seeing as the governor components probably aren't designed to handle RPMs much faster than they are supposed to limit the engine to. So if I were looking at doing this I'd definitely go the safe route and remove the governor entirely, and avoid the possibility of having it grenade and sending shrapnel through the engine.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by TravisW; 07-31-2017 at 11:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread