24 HP B&S engine start issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 24 HP B&S engine start issue

24 HP B&S engine start issue

Hi All
    I have a 24 HP vertical shaft engine with a slight starting issue.
    when I turn the key the starter seems to do a slight turn then nothing. when I turn the key off then on it will start with no issues. someties it takes 2,3, 4 times of going back and forth before it turns over. sometimes if I just hold the key in th eon position it will eventually turn over.. it will start fine, just having issue with the starter turning over. makes no diff if engine is cold or warm.

1. could there be an issue with + wire from solenoid to started is corroded?
    2. could there be an issue with the + wire going from switch to solenoid?
    3. possibility of the starter brushes going bad?

I am going to start digging into the issue this week and a looking for a direction to go.
    this issue has been going on for a couple of years but seems to be getting much worse now.

Thanks
    Larry

Larry, I think your list of possible items is worth considering. It could be a weak battery as well. When it tries to turn but doesn't, it may be on the compression stroke and once you get over the compression, it has enough power to start spinning. Maybe try trickle charging the battery?

Mine does the same thing all the time until I put a new battery in it.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

thanks guys

The battery was replaced June 2015 but I will put my meter on the battery when I turn it over to see how much the voltage drops then I will be sure. Makes sense to me the battery can be going bad as mike has said. I will update this tread when I pin point the issue down.

Thanks

I had a similar issue years back with my Simplicty, the positive cable corroded inside the cover. After putting a new battery in I switched the cable in frustration and....

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread