How many hours on your Kohler??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many hours on your Kohler??

How many hours on your Kohler??

Hey, just wondering how many hours are on your EFI Kohler engines? Argo dealer near me has a 2017 6x6 frontier with a Kohler 19 HP. just wondering if the engines are good or had any common problems.

Thanks!!

i believe they are good of course there fairly new so we will have to wait a few years to see how they hold up in the long run!

Stop by a commercial mower shop and talk to them, Commands do have a known cylinder glazing problem which causes them to smoke but I don't know the affected hour range. How it's maintained and run will make a difference with any engine.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have a Kohler 20HP in my Tractor, motor was built in 2006 and so far I have 353.4hrs on it with no issues. Every 50 hrs it gets an oil and filter change, unless I've been really pushing it I'll change it earlier

I have about 200 hours on my 2015 Argo with the 23hp EFI Kohler, it runs superbly. I have an older 20HP Kohler Command that has 300 hours, again it has performed without issues. I have a different type of machine with a Kohler too, it's a Scott's Lawn tractor and it has a 25hp Kohler vertical motor and it has just a click over 1000 hours and although it smokes a little when starting with the choke on, once it warms up no smoke and still has most of its original 25hp.

Of the air cooled engines currently available in AATVs, I would not buy a machine with anything but a Kohler. I still would prefer water cooling.

Already have seen a few that has blown up one with 1000/hrs and the other with 300/hrs. If it does blow up all Kohler wants to do is short or long block the engines of in warranty they will not replace with a new engine. Just my thoughts junk and wouldn't have one and bad on the Kohler's part for not replacing the whole engine with a new one and they all use oil like no other.

So far only 5 hours on my Kohler 23 hp in my 2016 Frontier Scout.
    I find it starts “harder” when cold than it should for an EFI setup. It always starts but seems to crank longer than I expected it to.
    Not sure if this is common with this motor or it has an issue...also not sure what would make it start as soon as the key is turned. Any feedback out there?

Allow the pump to cycle once or twice before starting, a low oil pressure switch will also affect starts.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Allow the pump to cycle once or twice before starting, a low oil pressure switch will also affect starts.
    Thanks
    I assume the buzzing noise when you turn the key on is the fuel pump?

I have rebuilt many single bangers, and 10 or so twins, the twins you can expect around 1000 hrs before problems start depending on it's service history. As for the single bangers around 2000 with good maintenance, except the K361& K321 they jist seem to last for ever. I jave a K321 that has not been touched other than plugs and a head Gasket and its at around 2200k and no smoke. The newer twins don't seem to last as longas the earlier 80's ones

+ Reply to Thread