16hp B&S Vanguard Price???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16hp B&S Vanguard Price???

16hp B&S Vanguard Price???

Hey Fella's, i found a used 16hp Vanguard V-Twin for sale and the owner is asking $500 CDN for it, any thoughts if that is a good price or not? what should one pay for a used one?

Thanks again

I see that no one replied to your post so here are some of my thoughts. It's hard to put a price on a used engine for many different reasons. Is the engine out of an aatv application? If so, then it may already have some of the parts you will need for your aatv. If not, some parts may have to be added or changed to suit your application. That can be costly.

Not all Vanguard engines, or for that matter any other engine are built alike eventhough they may look alike.

There can be differences in the crankshart diameters, shaft lengths, the govenor, the charging system, throttle and choke linkages, exhaust manifolds, muffler, intake air cleaner and more just to name a few. It can get pretty expensive to find out that a bargain priced engine has to be modified or have parts changed out to make it work in your application.

Then there is the mechanical condition of the engine itself. It's nice to know it's history if available. Most of the time it's not known. Was the seller also the user of the engine?

A cylinder compression check can tell you something about it's condition, even if it has a compression relief system to make it easier to turn over and start.

A new or new takeout 16 hp Vanguard set up for an aatv is probably going to be more money than the same engine set up for some other application, sometimes by several hundred dollars depending upon who is selling it. The same Vanguard engine new from a dealer could be lower but it may need to be modified for your application.

If you are replacing a Vanguard already in an aatv, then you may already have some of the parts to put on the replacement engine.

I was at a brand name tool company factory outlet store recently. They had an 18 hp engine that was brand new. It normally lists for $1399. It was selling for $879. Was it a bargain at that price, I don't know. The shaft diameter and length appeared odd sized and for a special application. They also had a new 24 hp for $10 less than the 18 hp and it normally lists for $1299. They also had plenty of return engines that looked almost new and had been run. These engines came back to the company for some reason right? They don't know the history on them or the specs. Here is the deal, there are no returns at this store. You gotta be careful what you buy.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Seem's that no one replies to most of my posts, perhap's if i had an Attex, Hustler or Max i would get more replies and info on here, well i'm up to 6 Argo 8x8's now so i'm able to figure out most of the stuff on my own.

Thanks for the help anyways

Six Argos is a lot so I guess you have some good experience with working on them. What I said was probably geared towards someone lesser experienced than you. I had not paid attention to how many postings you had already made. I missed your post until today when I had some time to peruse the postings made a while ago. It's happend to me but I don't let it discourage me from posting. I hope you will feel the same way. Actually I was suprised that no one answered you. Did you go after that engine?

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Yes, that goes for anyone posting here. If you don't get an answer don't get discouraged. There are several reasons things get left unanswered.

- Sometimes it's a question that people don't have an answer to. Like this one, it's hard to put a price on an engine like this just because it's so subjective (plus some of us in the states don't know how much $500 Canadian is )

- Sometimes a question will just get looked over by mistake. I know several times I have started to reply to threads. I will get a couple of paragraphs written and then get distracted. When I come back to the computer I have lost my train of thought and think "I'll come back to that question" then I never do.

- A lot of times I'm in a rush to just read and see what's going on. I just look at the new posts. Again, I may think "I'll come back and reply later" but I never do.

I'm just using me as an example but I'm sure others have similar circumstances. I don't think it has anything to do with the question being Argo-related. This is just a general question about an engine.

So again, nobody should take it personally if a question doesn't get answered. If something like this happens to you just reply to your on question and ask something like "Can anybody help?"

Of course you should wait 2 days or so before doing so just to let people have time to respond but there is nothing wrong with "bumping" your thread if it goes unanswered after a couple of days.

eightwheeler, I wasn't targeting you and saying that you took anything personally, I'm just writing to everyone in general. Several posts fall through the cracks regardless of what they are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by eightwheeler View Post
    Seem's that no one replies to most of my posts, perhap's if i had an Attex, Hustler or Max i would get more replies and info on here,
    Honestly, it seemed to me there were more Argo posting than anything else, with Max in second (Well, argo and max are still around so I guess that makes sense anyways.) As an Attex guy myself, it seems like a much smaller circle of knowledge. And Hustler guys have it tough Honestly, I was watching your thread waiting for an answer, as a friend, Mogman may have one he needs to sell soon, and I was hoping to give him a ballpark figure for what to ask for his engine. (IF he does sell). I agree with Mike, some of my go unanswered, so I don't think it's at all personal, man or machine, but just who's on when. I answer what I know about, but as someone who has never owned, driven, ridden in, or even seen in person, and Argo, I really could only answer questions about their engin.... OH, UMMM
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by eightwheeler View Post
    Hey Fella's, i found a used 16hp Vanguard V-Twin for sale and the owner is asking $500 CDN for it, any thoughts if that is a good price or not? what should one pay for a used one?

Thanks again
    $500 Canadian [$400-425 US] isn't to bad of a price if the motor runs good, considering a new engine sells for about $1600-2000 in Canada. The only thing to watch for if it is in Canada is the shipping. Some have rediculous rates.

Cool

I got my 16 hp b&s on craigs list for $400.00 from what I've seen most 16 hp b&s engines have 1" shafts so most should be useable for aatv's mine was used for a grain belt you can find them used you just have to look awhile I've seen new ones go for $1800.00 so $400.00 to $700.00 is a good price if it run well.....ood luck....

+ Reply to Thread