Wireing help needed 18hp Vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wireing help needed 18hp Vanguard

Wireing help needed 18hp Vanguard

So the 18hp Vanguard runs great. Now I have to wire it. Not my strong suit.

Right now all I have wired is a DC hot from the battery thought the key switch to the starter soleniod. turn the key to "start" and it cranks.
    So I need to charge the battery, a kill switch to shut off the engine and accessory power. I have a vanguard manual but it is not as much help as you might think.

1) (regulator rectifier) two yellow (AC wire outputs) and one red (red DC power output)? two yellow wires go back into the engine from the regulator... to the alternator? one red wire should go where? is this the red power wire that powers the lights and recharges the battery? The repair manual shows the red DC wire going to the key switch but why? I already have a DC hot wire there that I send to the starter solenoid.

2) how do you rig up a kill switch?

3) the manual shows an anti-afterfire solenoid (where would I find that?)

4) when you turn the switch to "stop" does it just ground a wire or is there an actual part that kills the engine?

All help is appreciated.
    1970's Max II
    2000 18hp B&S
    mis-mash of parts and pieces

I'll give this a try...

1)The red wire off the regulator/rectifier is what charges the battery. If you are using an ammeter this wire needs to go to it so it reads correctly.

2) The kill switch would need to connect the small stud on the front (when installed in a max) of the engine near the rectifier to ground to shut the motor off.

3)I think this refers to the fuel solenoid on the carburator. Not all briggs engine use these. It has a red wire and needs to have power to it when the key is on.

4)Turning the switch to stop kills the engine by grounding the spark, and by shutting off power to the fuel solenoid.

Recreatives has a wiring harness available for a Briggs Max II, but you would probably have to replace the key switch to use it. A wiring diagram is also available from R.I.
    "How deep of water does it float in?"

+ Reply to Thread