kawasaki 20 hp upgrades

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kawasaki 20 hp upgrades

kawasaki 20 hp upgrades

has anybody tried to hop up one of these engines, if so can you let me know what all you did. would really like to get a little more out of it, john deere gators are up to 33 hp with a kawasaki v twin, fd620.
    mud and ice

pipe
    filter
    cams
    tune the clutch better

There's a guy who builds air cooled kawasakis, I'll look him up and ask.

We had a couple E mails:

Hi Jason,
    I see from Heymow you do kawasakis. My hobby is 6 and 8 wheel amphibious atv's. One model has the fd620, and some owners would like to get more power. Do you deal with the water cooled or know what's available for it?

Some of the things we do with the air cooled FH twins will work on the FD620's (cam regrind as long as it has the metal cam gear, valve springs, porting, milling cylinder heads, etc.) but things like our flywheel don't work on them. There are a few guys running the Liquid cooled engines in pulling garden tractors, and I know there is someone making a high dome piston for them. Are you guys still using the governor system?
    -------------------------

I will try to spend a little time and join the site so I can help respond to questions like that. The cam mod probably won't do much good on a governed engine because more than anything changes the rpm at which it is most efficient, and the stock profiles are designed to do that at 3600 rpm. Compression will definately help, more snap to push the piston down. Porting will help if its done right, help the engine breathe at the desired rpm. I will be happy to help where I can.

this is great

thanks for all the input, i was not sure that there was this much avilable for these engines, i will try to get all of the info from the engine and place it in on here. engine code is fd620d-ds12 and family no is ska617ug2ra. i look forward to hearing more.

Thanks again
    Darin
    mud and ice

Quote Originally Posted by dgh110 View Post
    thanks for all the input, i was not sure that there was this much avilable for these engines, i will try to get all of the info from the engine and place it in on here. engine code is fd620d-ds12 and family no is ska617ug2ra. i look forward to hearing more.

Thanks again
    Darin

Hi Darin
    Was told by a reliable source(Argo Dealer) about these 20 hp Kawasaki engines that you need to keep a fuel stabilizer added to the fuel to keep the valve train from giving any problems. Ran the stabilizer in mine and never had any problems. The problem occurs when you let it sit for a extended amount of time. Fuel stabilizer is kept in my gas at all times. You may or may not know this, just though i would give you a heads up. Everyone has different brands that they like.

Lewis

Thumbs down fuel tip

that is good to know, i think i will start with pulling the carb and cleaning it, i don't know if the po ever knew that, after spending 2 days cleaning and oiling chains, also fixing the reverse gear. i have a feeling that he was not as concerned with maintance. i will still have to go through the rest of the machine before hunting season, just looking to get the most hp with realibilty.

Darin
    mud and ice

+ Reply to Thread