MaxII Bigfoot/Tall tub

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: MaxII Bigfoot/Tall tub

HOLY (insert 4 letter word)!!! Jim, you officially lost your mind on this build, and I LOVE IT! You did an amazing job, and if Recreatives really wanted to build a new best of the best monster they'd replicate your design. I get through looking at all the pictures and keep thinking how awesome this machine is and then I see that you said you have a Kohler 40HP at the machine shop! Whaaaaaat?! A stock 40HP Kohler is insane power, but do I dare ask, are you going to be getting even more ponies out of it? I see this is a serious contender in the 4 stroke class at Ashtabula if you decide to race it. Very nice work!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

jpswift1

How mean would this Max II look with a set of ASX tires on it ,now that he has the tub clearance?

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    You did an amazing job, and if Recreatives really wanted to build a new best of the best monster they'd replicate your design.
    .... now I WANT a Max IV lower tub .... the Max II tall tub just look amazing !!!!! VERY nice job !
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    jpswift1

How mean would this Max II look with a set of ASX tires on it ,now that he has the tub clearance?
    That would be a really cool machine! Light weight, short wheelbase, high floatation, excellent approach and departure angles, low exerted PSI.......sounds really capable to me.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    HOLY (insert 4 letter word)!!! Jim, you officially lost your mind on this build, and I LOVE IT! You did an amazing job, and if Recreatives really wanted to build a new best of the best monster they'd replicate your design. I get through looking at all the pictures and keep thinking how awesome this machine is and then I see that you said you have a Kohler 40HP at the machine shop! Whaaaaaat?! A stock 40HP Kohler is insane power, but do I dare ask, are you going to be getting even more ponies out of it? I see this is a serious contender in the 4 stroke class at Ashtabula if you decide to race it. Very nice work!
    The motor came from MattO, from a mudd-ox that got repowered. It was worn out and low compression.(read:used abused and overheated) Now the question is if it can take .010" over pistons or if it needs the .020" over. Untill it gets machined I guess it's tough to tell. It is .008" worn as is and it's hard to tell if the wear happened equally. I plan to put it back to stock.....this is a 999cc motor (ch-1000) and has tons of torque!
    I really don't want to be breaking things every time I go out.
    One condition Matt put on the motor deal was "no racing against him at Ashtabula".......I have too much work into this thing to race it anyway. It would be better to put one together without being water tight.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    jpswift1

I'd love to put some on....got an extra set that you would like to donate???

Edit: JP added another post while I was writing this one up.
    "That would be a really cool machine! Light weight, short wheelbase, high floatation, excellent approach and departure angles, low exerted PSI.......sounds really capable to me. "
    By stretching the frame without adding length to the bottom tub it put the axles real close to the edges, combined with the bigger tires......enter/departure angles are great! I can't wait to try it out.
    One issue I do have is how close the front tire sides are to the tub....about 3/4" ....I'm guessing I will need wheel spacers to keep from rubbing.
    Anybody know what a minimum clearance should be?
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 03-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.

I'm waiting on parts for the motor rebuild. It sure seems like the small details at the end are taking the longest. I need the engine parts/engine back together to set it in place. Then I can figure out belt length, and get that ordered. I think I will have clutch clearance issues too[IMG][/IMG]. After a little research, I have found 4 different types of primary clutches that will fit 1 1/8" shafts.
    The comet 94c, I fear is too light duty. The comet 1190/1195 is hard to find and I think is being phased out. The cpp09 is made by team aftermarket, sold by cart parts plus, it is very tunable and a nice clutch. The powerbloc 80, also a nice clutch, and pretuned to my application. Both the cpp09 and pb80 are too tall to fit without modification. I can either remould the tub or buy the powerbloc secondary clutch.
    I'm leaning towards the 2 powerbloc clutches.
    Attached Images

I would check mfg supply and get a comet 1190 if it would fit without clearance issues. Those comet 1190's are tough! I think mfg supply had them for around $480. If you do go with the powerbloc clutches Tom at Cart Parts Plus is a great guy do deal with and is very knowledgable if you can pull it out of him. I have dealt with them a great deal in the past when I was big blocking golf carts. I would defin stay far away from a 94c for the hp it sounds like you plan on putting out. I didnt even like running them on my 18 Vannys when I could get a comet 780 instead.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

The powerbloc 80 and the team aftermarket are both about 1/2" taller than the comet. Quality Drive Systems has the parts for the comet1190 except the dome (not sure how long to get one) . I am leaning towards the powerboc because it is a bolt on and go (pretuned to my application) and it would match the secondary. I am having a hard time finding the powerbloc secondary online...or even pictures. It might help if I had a model #. I'm pretty sure R.I. switched to them in the new max's....does anyone have a picture of theirs? Is this one? club car big block driven clutch I guess I have more phone calls to make on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    I would check mfg supply and get a comet 1190 if it would fit without clearance issues. Those comet 1190's are tough! I think mfg supply had them for around $480. If you do go with the powerbloc clutches Tom at Cart Parts Plus is a great guy do deal with and is very knowledgable if you can pull it out of him. I have dealt with them a great deal in the past when I was big blocking golf carts. I would defin stay far away from a 94c for the hp it sounds like you plan on putting out. I didnt even like running them on my 18 Vannys when I could get a comet 780 instead.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hold on a minute here I have just recived a 94c/9 puck/1.1/4in shaft for my 40 hp diesel going into my Max iv.I talked with Don from Commet,, on several times on the best clutch for the HP and torque and rpm limitsHe sugested this 94 because of the low enguagement of about 1200 rpm. and topping out at arround 3000 ( and Yes the motor is being modified ) And yes it is a Turboed also ),,,,,doesnt look to be much of a rpm range but as I am using a jackshaft so I can get this motor down in the lower portion of the tub as for center of gravity goes,,,So much for the passenger seat in the rear. I aslo can do a good bit of gearing from the motor to the jack shaft that is the clutch will be mounted on it,,,,also gives me the option to drive a cooling pump type setup to cool the tranny once fabed,,,,,,also to drive a jet pump located under the tranny for in the water propulsion,,,The Max from Hell o ,,,,,so does anyone that has used this clutch,, the 94c have any sugestions befor I install this and blow the NEW off of it,???
    Last edited by BREEZE; 03-17-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added some more info

Last weekend member Toys4Me trashed a new comet 94c in his attex on a clone motor. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/local...tml#post113752 The kohler I'm using may only be 40 HP but it is a 1 liter displacement and will have LOTS of torque.....probably much the same as a diesel.
    Without trying them....I really don't know how to tell what clutch is better.

+ Reply to Thread