Throttle cable adjustment or idle adjustment?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Throttle cable adjustment or idle adjustment?

Throttle cable adjustment or idle adjustment?

My conquest runs great. But no matter how long I run it, it won't stay run ing at idle unless I play with the throttle to keep it revved up a bit. When I have it at an idle that keeps it running, it shifts fine and stays run ing strong. But if I give it gas and just let off the throttle when it reaches idle it dies. I am not sure if I ned to just adjust the throttle cable, or if I need to adjust the idle. My thought is the cable needs adjusted. There is a lot of play at the end of the cable. I do have a new cable if it would just be better to change it. Any ideas please let me know. Thanks guys.

Sounds like the carb is ready for a good cleaning.

Joe.

The low idle is not set by the cable and would be the same whether you had a throttle cable or not.

The idle screw is on the radiator side of the carb., if you want to remove some slack for quicker response ( after idle adjustment) loosen the screw on muffler side holding the cable and slide back the cable housing slightly NOT changing the idle.

So do I need to adjust the idle? The carb was just cleaned and rebuilt less than a year ago. And I have no problem at all with performance. The only problem is it idles so low it wont stay running.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The idle screw is on the radiator side of the carb., if you want to remove some slack for quicker response ( after idle adjustment) loosen the screw on muffler side holding the cable and slide back the cable housing slightly NOT changing the idle.
    Ok, thank you.

Sounds like you need to to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Sounds like you need to to me.
    I will give it a shot. Thank you for the info. I will report back when completed.

The conquest has a idle adjustment screw. When sitting in the machine, hood off, look at the base of the carb, just about dead center, thats the mixture adjustment, dont touch it. To the right and up about three inches is the idle adjustment screw. you have to get low to see it, and you should be able to get a screw driver on it fairly easy. Turn it to the right until it idles without holding the throttle. If you send me your email, i'll sent you the repair manual for the FD620D in PDF format.

FYI, Don't touch the screw to the LEFT of the mixture adjustment screw.

+ Reply to Thread