2017 Frontier 6x6 Rear Chain Tensioner "popped" - Some Answers and Advice Needed.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Frontier 6x6 Rear Chain Tensioner "popped" - Some Answers and Advice Needed.

Question 2017 Frontier 6x6 Rear Chain Tensioner "popped" - Some Answers and Advice Needed.

Heading down to hunting camp tonight. While loading last night, discovered the rear chain tensioner on the right side of my Argo appears to have "sprung" causing them to remain all the way down. The pictures below show this better.

Right now, the bottom of the chain is pressing down hard on the tensioner, preventing me from lifting it up. I am hoping that when I put the argo up on the jack stands, this will change, but I am not sure. I've checked the owner's manual, and there really isn't a good picture or description of this process.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me and perhaps share some advice on how to re-set this tensioner quickly before hitting the road this afternoon.
    Attached Images

with the fantastic help from Ed at ARGO ADVENTURES - THEY ARE THE BEST, he explained that when I backed into the garage, that is what had the chains sitting with all the tightness on the bottom and spinning the wheels forward would switch that up so I could re-set the tensioner. He mentioned a "hack" to use zip ties to hold the tensioners in place so they don't want to move based on the roughness of the terrain we operate in. He also walked me through tightening the drive chains.

What a great resource for us, I recommend getting parts etc. from them whenever possible to support them and "pay it back" for all the help they provide.

Do you run that Argo in salt water? Those chains look pretty crusty?

I should’ve looked at your signature! I see it says Eastern Shore of Maryland that explains a lot!

nothing but salt marsh. Last year I broke my arm pretty bad while working on the argo and it sat without any maintenance for almost 4 months. Chains are all much better now with regular application of NAPA Mac Chain/Cable lube (thanks for the recommendation from Ed at ArgoAdventure).

There is a great product out there that a boat mechanic that works in Galveston, Texas introduced me to. Its called "Corrosion X" Available from Amazon and ebay. Its a super slippery lubricant that chemically reacts with rust and converts it on a molecular scale. I used it on an old fork lift recently that I thought needed new chains, and within a day of spraying it down and running it the chains look nearly new. Since then all my amphibs have gotten their chains sprayed down with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    There is a great product out there that a boat mechanic that works in Galveston, Texas introduced me to. Its called "Corrosion X" Available from Amazon and ebay. Its a super slippery lubricant that chemically reacts with rust and converts it on a molecular scale. I used it on an old fork lift recently that I thought needed new chains, and within a day of spraying it down and running it the chains look nearly new. Since then all my amphibs have gotten their chains sprayed down with this stuff.
    Sounds promising. Did you have to clean the chains at all afterword's? I know some converters Ive used leaves behind syrupy film.

I spray my machines down after a ride with a pressure washer to get the gunk out, then spray the chains down when they are dry, the Corrosion X isn't as prone to pickup debris as other lubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I spray my machines down after a ride with a pressure washer to get the gunk out, then spray the chains down when they are dry, the Corrosion X isn't as prone to pickup debris as other lubes.
    Was asking about the fork lift chains. After spraying the chains with the product to you have to clean the chains? Did the product leave behind a film or similar that had to be washed away before operating? Sorry for the confusion I should have been more clear. Thanks in advance

The forklift chains just got a spraydown with the product and no wash down afterwards was necessary. The chains went from looking similar to your chains to looking almost new. The product soaks into the metal and there is no nasty film afterwards.

+ Reply to Thread