Aurora 950SX-R in the water

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aurora 950SX-R in the water

Aurora 950SX-R in the water

Hi all

First post here. We've recently bought a new Argo Aurora 950SX-R with ROPS and canopy.

We were planning to use it on our farm for low lying muddy areas. Its great for this, it just sails through the mud where our Kubota RTV would get bogged, or a tractor would just make a huge mess.

We were also hoping to use it in the river for a bit of fishing with the kids.
    We've found its a bit unstable in the water though. We've only taken it out twice for very short runs because we're scared of tipping it over!

We had a lot of rain lately so the water was mostly fresh but it does get salt water when the tide comes in - we're a few miles from the mouth.

It seems to be sitting in the water around the top of the wheel rims. Some of the videos I've seen online look a bit like others sit a bit lower in the water, maybe around the top of the tyres, but its hard to tell.

We were thinking maybe the ROPS and canopy raise the centre of gravity too much but they aren't something you want to be removing and replacing all the time.

I'm wondering about other people's experiences with the Aurora in the water? Is it harder to tip over than it feels?
    Some photos below.

Thanks!

Going into the water the first time is always scary. When it comes to water, the lighter the machine the better. Two people and and high ropes system the first time in the water can be a little scary. I would always start with a single pilot, get your confidence up, get used to the way the machine handles in the water before you start with passengers. Remember that 950 is already heavier that all the other Argos and weight Kills swim speed. You also have to consider those double high back seats can act as sail in the wind working for or against you. Still all things considered you should be able to get 2 1/2 to 3 mph with two people in the machine once you get the hang of it and swim around with confidence.

Taking them in water is a little nerve racking at first. I’ve taken mine in the water many times. Underwater obstacles like rocks, stumps, etc can cause a situation in the right circumstance.
    Checkout my gallery on here to see my new Argo underwater. It can happen. I have a ton of off-road experience. These things can go under in a minute. Lol. I couldn’t believe how quickly things went south. Good luck with your new machine. Looks great. I couldn’t figure out how to post the picture here for some reason. Check Gallery.

We have had the Aurora 850 in the water a few times. It gets a lot of looks and comments.
    I did remove the top and fold down the windshield and we do not have a ROPS.
    It doesn't take much of a wake from anything to get water where you don't want it.
    Also keep those bearing well greased as that is your water seal.

It felt much better in the river protected from wind and waves.

I didn't find that it was much if any faster with a 6HP outboard than using the tires to paddle.
    It did about 3mph either way with me and the wife, together about 320LBS.
    It plows through either way.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

sounds like it might not really be suitable for going out too far in the river. Especially if a boat comes flying past and you get stuck in the wake!

Calm water only for sure.

+ Reply to Thread