Argo Starter Problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo Starter Problem

Argo Starter Problem

Hi Folks,

I recently got a 1991 Argo 8x8 Magnum - its in great shape and is well maintained. However, one issue that has arisen is an intermittent starter problem - it usually starts fine but on some occasions all I hear is the starter motor spinning but engine is not cranking - battery power is good - brake blower is on - but the engine doesn't crank. This past weekend - it only started a couple of times but usually just got the starter motor spinning with no engine crank.

Any ideas? Is this is a solenoid issue? Starter clutch (if it has one)?

As well, is there a way to pull start the Kohler engine?

Thanks in advance,

Joey

sounds like the gear on the starter is probably a bit chewed up, so when it tries to engage, the gear hits the bottom of the flywheel instead of going next to it and allowing the gears to mesh
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Most likely just a gummed up bendix or a broken spring in it. The gear (bendix) on the end of your starter is spring loaded to return and can get gummed up, it will not engage with the flywheel. You can clean it but you may have to replace it. I would try cleaning it first though.

Thanks - excuse the newbie questions - how hard is it to get at the starter - is it an engine out task or can i get at it from inside the engine bay?

The Kohler in my Argo does that every once in a while. It is the bendix gear/spring sticking. I doesnt bother me. When it does it, I just let off the starter and try it again until it engages. You can pull start the engine by winding a rope around the pully in the air intake duck but good luck pull starting that beast, I haven't been able to do it yet.

the 17 hp kohler in my argo did that as well.turned out to be gummed up.cleaned the hell out of it then lubed it with some lithium grease works like a charm now.

I have had this before , not a big deal , most likely the shaft for the bendex is dirty , you can get the starter out withought removeing the motor , it's not easy but you can do it . First start off by finding something sharp and just bang your knuckles on that and get the bloody part out of the way , then get to work , you have to work somewhat blindly but use a mirror and look it over , it take.s a little time but a whole lot less than pulling the motor . I know some guys will cut corners and just drill a little hole in the cover over the thing , put the spray tube on the can and shoot some in there , you know the old saying , there always seems to be time to do it right the second time !

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I'll get to work on skinning my knuckles asap

+ Reply to Thread