avenger charging weirdness

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: avenger charging weirdness

avenger charging weirdness

I have a 2004 avenger with the Aegis 26. Just put a brand new optima 51 series yellow top(argos recommended oe battery). I have a switch to shut off the brake fan to conserve power at idle. As any argo owner knows the battery will go dead if you let it idle too long with the fan running. My avenger charges at almost 15 volts when it is ice cold with the fan off at full throttle. When it is hot Im lucky to 13.5. Just wondering if anybody else noticed this or if my rectifier or stator is going bad. Maybe a there is a coil in the stator starting to short with the heat or diode in the rectifier reacting. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

i would call the factory and see what wattage rating the stator is..i have noticed on other
    types of engine i use in other vehicles that a minimum of 350 watts is what you need to run
    fans and lights..it takes at least 200 watts to run a small h.i.d light and also make it charge
    enough at idle..some one out their with the capabilty to make a better stator for small engines
    needs to let us know.

I was having this same problem. I tore a bunch of things out and found out the problem. I also have a 04 avenger. This is what I found out. Some magenitic parts from the underside of the fly wheel. (Not sure what they are called) But they run allongside the stator, broke off. I was have recharging issues. then I starting having overheating issues big time. Well it turns out that the magnetic parts broke off and smashed the pulley for the water pump. I am not qualified to pull the flywheel off to fix these things so I am bringing it in. If you know how to and have tools to do it it doesn't look too bad. My fear on trying to fix things myself if that little unseen spring that goes bing!! and sends my unseen parts into orbit. Thankfully this did not happen.But it is tight in there!!

Well what happened is the magnets from the flywheel came off and wrecked the stator and smashed the water pump pulley. Kinda unusual for those magnets to come off. But it is fixed and runnin
    again!!

An actual 13.5 volts is not low for a charging system. 15 is high, in the automotive world. I don't know what the specs are for kohler, or if you have a problem with your charging system, just commenting about the #'s in general. EI, if I had a car that was putting out 15 volts, I'd be concerned about it overcharging and cooking the battery. The amperage is also important, as well you should use another voltmeter to confirm the one on the dash.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread