Need torque-y engine to replace Jlo...suggestions?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need torque-y engine to replace Jlo...suggestions?

Need torque-y engine to replace Jlo...suggestions?

Got a 1st generation Attex I'm trying to restore and it came with a one lung Jlo 2 stroke. Most of the stuff I'm planning on doing with this Attex involves utility work, like dragging logs, hauling firewood, sloggin' through swamps and mud etc. I don't want high end speed...I want torque and hill climbing, mud slingin' grunt. What should I replace this 2 stroke with? It's got a weird transmission (ATV 5000)...haven't heard of anything like that on here before... Any suggestions on the ultimate torque monster setup? Can't spend a fortune on Vangards and such....thanks!

Your transmission is a Baker-Hill 5000, very common on early Attex's. It has a smaller/weaker input shaft and is not likely to hold up to hi torque well.

Your Transmission is a Baker Hill 5000. It could be swapped with a Baker Hill 7000 if you want to keep your reverse and upgrade your machine a little bit. You could also throw in a Baker Hill 6000, but you lose your reverse with that. As for the engines, Vanguards can be had relatively cheap if you keep an eye on craigslist and ebay. If you just want something new to through in there and will get the job done, harbor freight sells a 16hp honda clone that many members have had good luck with.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I woudn't try pushing that Baker Hill 5000. They have a very small 3/4" main shaft and if you put some good torque to it, there's a pretty good chance you could snap it. The Baker Hill series transmissions are very, very common. Every first generation Attex out there has them, like Drew and Jim said. You could try your 5000 for very light trail use with a smaller 4 stroke engine, but if you're going to be working the machine or getting into some harder trail riding, you should upgrade to a 6000 or 7000 series transmission with a 1" main shaft and then like Drew suggested, get one of those single cylinder Harbor Freight engines and you'll be good.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Bloody hell! Tried to respond a couple times and hit the wrong key and POOF...my whole paragraph was gone....anyway, THANKS to the guys who responded with suggestions! Anyone got a Baker Hill 7000 they don't need? Gonna check out those Harbor Freight engines, too. Was wondering...how much HP does this one lung Jlo engine put out?

6X6World member Larry W know first generation Attexes very well and he's repowered them with the Harbor Freight engines. He might have some good tips if you decide to go that route. For now, I'd say you're probably going to want to get the machine up and running, so you could run the Baker Hill 5000, just don't be too hard on it. And while you're running the machine, you could keep an eye out for a Baker Hill 7000. The single cylinder 297 JLO was around 19.5 HP or in that neighborhood. But that's a 2 stroke and that's a quick burst of power within a small RPM range. The 4 stroke will make more torque but a less horsepower. That horsepower will be in a more broad, usable RPM range though. Good luck with it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The L 295 is rated at 21.5 HP at 6000 rpm and the L 230 is 15.5 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooo guy View Post
    The L 295 is rated at 21.5 HP at 6000 rpm and the L 230 is 15.5 HP.
    That's right Bazoo guy.....I remember seeing the 21.5 HP rating for the 295 JLO in the Attex Wild Wolf brochure. The first generation Attexes came with the 297, not the 295. I just did some searching and found out the HP rating for the 297 JLO is 17.5.

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Scroll down the the bottom left paragraph on that page and you'll see where it talks about the Massey Ferguson snowmobiles with the JLO 297.

hi
    Replace with any vtwin the bigger the better.Kawasaki 27hp or even higher hp eg 34hp briggs
    The more economical size but less power a 23 hp vanguard
    Depending upon your budget.......
    Also change the gearing a little .Bias the ratio to stump pulling torque .

tomo

+ Reply to Thread