35HP Vanguard Mods?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 35HP Vanguard Mods?

Yep, gravity fed. there were different versions of heads over the yrs but 140ish with the carb wide open is right in there.

So I think I have it dialed in as Best as its gonna get.
    I still notice some smoke coming from the exhaust when running hard in the upper RPMs, but the Plugs look like they're right about where they're suppose to be.
    Is that a sign that I can lean it out some more or will the Timing advance help that?
    Last edited by Hollywoodc; 04-05-2014 at 09:39 PM.

I would advance the timing first, runnin' stock pistons to lean will cause you problems at some point. fuel & plugs are cheap so I'd run er' rich.

Thanks Nubs. I pulled off the flywheel cover and plastic fins yesterday but I need to finish making the a flywheel remover to get the flywheel off. Hope I don't have any problems getting the flywheel off. I'll post pics of the process when done, there isn't much info on Image Search of the timing advance process.

After that, I I've read about advancing or retarding the stock Cam 1 tooth. Im just not sure which will be better for Duning, low end or Top end.

The flywheel will pop right off, I'd just cut the key in 1/2 and that'll get ya a few degrees to start. I don't buy into that retardin' the cam deal, if your gonna bother to get to the cam just spend the money and buy one that been ground and dyno tested

Got it, Gonna contact Al Hodge and see what he has for the 35HP

Update:
    Just got in touch with Al Hodge. He has the Cams, lifters and Billet Rods for a total of $300.
    Sounds like a deal.
    Last edited by Hollywoodc; 04-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Ya can't go wrong with that setup..

Pulled the Flywheel and Key.
    Not sure how much of the key to shave down. I've read from up to 1/3-1/2 but that may have been just for the lower HP Vanguards.

How does the flywheel look like its in good shape?

Ok So I advanced the timing by half of the key which is about 8 degrees.
    I also did some mods to the Primary Clutch. Closed the gap a bit between the primary sheaves, It had a 3/16" gap between brand new belt and sheave, so I modded it to bring it in which now has about 1/16" gap.

Car feels great on take off, It will pull all the way through until I run out of room in the parking lot.
    Only thing I'm concerned about is, it feels like it takes longer to get through 3500 RPM range.
    Its hard to explain and I don't feel like pulling it apart again to put it back to zero or try Retarding it to get the full affect.

What should the performance change feel like by advancing the timing?

does it pull hard again after it gets passed 3,500? Sounds like it may just be the clutches not shifting when they need to be. once ya change one thing it sometimes moves or creates a another problem.

+ Reply to Thread