Kohler 399-2t Questions.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler 399-2t Questions.....

Kohler 399-2t Questions.....

New to the site. I just picked up what I believe is a late 70's 6 wheel argo with a Kohler 3992t engine.

1. What is the part number of the air filter I need for replacement.....round air filter 5 inches inches wide with metal housing.

2. Machine is starting but on occasion the starter will sieze up and I have to manually turn the belt wheel to disengage. Should I get a new starter and if so part number for that.

3. Plastic gas tank is cracking and has a few leaking areas. I called relics and they say the gas tank that has the filler on the left side is no longer available. Solutions? Can I use an epoxy sealer internally?

Thanks. New to this and want this beast to get deep in the bush to do some trout fishing. Picked this unit up for 1000 bucks. Had an engine/carb rebuild 3 years ago and then was put away till now.....Took us about 10 min to get it running....New tires and bearings too. I think I got a good deal.

Jordan

Hi Jordan, welcome to the forum. I'm no help on the air filter but for the starter, you can start by pulling it off and cleaning it. The bendix may just have crud around it that is keeping it from returning. For the gas tank, it depends on how bad the cracks are and how many you have. You may be able to weld the cracks back together. If you will search Google, there are a lot of products and techniques for repairing plastic tanks in cars, ATVs, lawn mowers, etc that should apply to your tank as well.

Jordan, you should be able to get the air filter at a auto parts store or a lawn mower shop if it's the paper filter.
    If cleaning the starter doesn't work, there are probably numbers stamped on it, check ebay or some vintage sled sites.

Thanks guys!

For the gas tank try Marine tex epoxy. That stuff is amazing. Its a little pricey, but it works to seal almost anything.

You can always post something on buy and sell section. I bought a tank with the elusive left side filler neck from someone on here for a hundred bucks. They are still out there. I have the same motor as you in my machine. Pm me if you have any questions.

+ Reply to Thread