getting shock while starting engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: getting shock while starting engine

getting shock while starting engine

Hi guys. Haven't been on here in a while and I'm a little stumped. I've got a 1970 kohler 400 two stroke and when I'm standing beside the Argo with one hand on the key and the other on the throttle, I feel a little shock while the starter is engaged. If I hop into the argo to start it, no shock. I'm assuming because the tires are insulating me from ground. I'm not positive but I have a suspicion that when that fault occurs, it only runs on one cylinder. Any ideas where to start??

i have a attex tomahamk that dose the same thing. i have not looked into the issue yet but I'm guessing that someone wired a
    new ignition switch that either is the incorrect one or got a wire hooked up wrong. i have to be turning the key and touching the
    throttle at the same time.

Sounds as if you may both have a ground issue going on and you are completing the circuit, be sure you have a ground to the frame and a ground to the engine along with a ground from the engine to the frame, I believe the Tecumseh is rubber mounted just like the Kohler so there would be no ground from engine to frame.

The other issue may be that the engine ground is wired to the M terminal and the g terminal to the kill wire, again no ground and the switch is seeking ground.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yes, i agree check your ground as argojim said. Lots ofvtimes the ground is a braided (gray colored) wire, bolted directly to the frame.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

Funny, I was just thinking a few days back about an antique washing machine that my Dad had in his collection of junk. It was named a "Wash Witch" but he always substituted the Witch part with another word, as it never failed to shock whoever started the old aircooled motor. He had it for many years before I figured out that there was an improper ground that went from the ignition to the porcelain tub. The thick coating on the porcelain prevented the ground, and as Argojim pointed out, whoever tried to start the thing completed the circuit and got a nice wake up when they pulled the starter rope. Once I ground the coating down and got the ground to work, the nasty shock went away.

+ Reply to Thread