Kohler "b" style piston help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler "b" style piston help

Kohler "b" style piston help

Ch740 command pro
    I'm on the downhill side and reassembling everything but am having a small problem. My pistons are not marked for the flywheel side and I was too dumb to mark them upon removal as I took for granted there would be markings under the carbon buildup, well, there wasn't. The only identifying mark I can find is each piston has a nub or corner on one of the wrist pin journals. I'm hoping one if you guys can tell me if that nub faces flywheel or closure plate or doesn't it matter so long as they face the same direction. The assembly manual just says the head will be marked "fly>" mine however, are not. Thank you guys, I know it's just a small engine not rocket science but it's an expensive small engine and I want it right.
    Last edited by Dw89xj; 09-24-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    DanW

DanW

Hey Dan,
    I think I still have a couple magnums in the basement torn down. Pretty sure I marked the orientation of the pistons upon disassembly. Let me look this evening to see if there seems to be a pattern between the marking and those little nubs on the wrist pin journals of the pistons. The service manual does in fact show the arrow w/the FLY word on top the piston but I'm pretty sure mine were not indentified in this manner either. I'll get back to ya.

Joe M.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Hey Dan,
    I think I still have a couple magnums in the basement torn down. Pretty sure I marked the orientation of the pistons upon disassembly. Let me look this evening to see if there seems to be a pattern between the marking and those little nubs on the wrist pin journals of the pistons. The service manual does in fact show the arrow w/the FLY word on top the piston but I'm pretty sure mine were not indentified in this manner either. I'll get back to ya.

Joe M.
    Thank you, mine is a command pro I should've mentioned that but I imagine as it's it's pressure lube they should be similar.
    DanW

In my searches today, I came across an argo dealer selling Kohler pistons and judging by their pictures the nub would be toward the flywheel. The on local repair shop I called said mine must have aftermarket pistons, according to the guy I bought the engine from it's never been opened up( which is believable since there isn't rtv gobbed all over or squeezing out excessive) until the camshaft failure. I'm thinks ng this local shop I spoke with does more replacing than it does rebuilding, but who am I to say. I just know they sell an awful lot of new equipment.
    DanW

Quote Originally Posted by Dw89xj View Post
    Thank you, mine is a command pro I should've mentioned that but I imagine as it's it's pressure lube they should be similar.
    Your welcome. You did mention Command in the first sentence of the first post, my bad for not seeing that,lol. Just for the record, I did look at my old magnum pistons and they do not have FLY indicated on them. I recall marking the ones I intended to use to reassemble Gadget's engine with a paint marker.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Your welcome. You did mention Command in the first sentence of the first post, my bad for not seeing that,lol. Just for the record, I did look at my old magnum pistons and they do not have FLY indicated on them. I recall marking the ones I intended to use to reassemble Gadget's engine with a paint marker.
    Well I was wrong, the nubs I spoke of are opposite the flywheel, but how they are on the rods, the rods could be fine but pistons wrong but flip them and they're both right, if that makes sense. So the little nub is toward the clutch side. A guy on the one Kohler group was nice enough to send pics and explain on his he has disassembled.
    DanW

+ Reply to Thread