Argo Bigfoot won't run without choke

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo Bigfoot won't run without choke

Argo Bigfoot won't run without choke

I got an Argo Bigfoot with a Briggs and Stratton 18 hp motor. It runs great as long as the choke is all the way open. The second you push in the choke it dies. It looks like a tube should come off the carb but not sure where it would run to. I'm guessing it might be a possible choke vacuum line???

Any help on getting this to idle and run would be greatly appreciated.

Clean the carb and especially the jets. should get you zipping along again. had the same problem once.

Thanks I'll try that. Should I have a vacuum hose on the carb though? There is a nipple coming off of it but I have no idea where the hose would go to.

Can't answer you there but if someone more knowledgeable here doesn't chime in start looking on google images, Briggs & Stratton sites. I took the 18 out of my bigfoot.

no. it's just a vent.

a trick i've used many times on the trails is to remove the entire air cleaner assembly. get it running even with the choke. rev the engine and use the palm of your hand to completely seal off the opening of the carb till the engine nearly dies. it will smoke a lot! if it dies it will be hard to restart for a while. sometimes it works first try sometimes it takes a few. what you are doing is creating a very high vaccuum in the carb which can suck a piece of debris out of a jet. probably should replace all your fuel lines and the filter
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

i had same problem on my 18 h.p. briggs . it always ended up being the jet clogged. all i remember is you take off the carb top and the jet is there in a hole . unscrew it out ...blow it out good with carb cleaner and that should work . also add some sea foam to your gas . it can work wonders . johnboy va.

At least replace fuel line between pump and carb when you clean out carb. I find that one decomposing inside a lot. One little piece stuck in main jet and it just won’t run right. The little nipple near the air inlet is usually blind and not used. If it’s open it’s for an emission line. If not in California it’s probably not used.

Ok so I finally got around to cleaning the carb. The smallest holes on the jet were clogged. I cleaned them and reassembled only for it not to start at all now. It fires up with starter fluid, acts like it's getting no fuel.

does this engine have a carb solenoid? red wire running to the carb? if that isntt hooked up it will shut off the fuel supply
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I didn't see any wires to it but will double check. The only thing coming to mind is if somehow I put the gasket back on and it's blocking a hole or something. I didn't study the gasket but I thought there was only one way to put it on that all the screws would line up. Maybe not and maybe I put it on upside down ��

+ Reply to Thread