Charging system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charging system

Charging system

Does anybody know how to check to see if the charging system works on a JLO 300 engine? My harness was hacked up so I have 2 yellow wires that come out from the motor and no idea where they go or how to check if there is power coming from them...thanks
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

The yellow wires will go to one side of the rectifier and the other side of the rectifier should go to the positive side of the battery. Check the voltage with the engine off at the battery, then with the engine running at a fairly high rpm. As a rule, the two-strokes don't charge much, but it should put your voltage up towards 14v.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Does it matter how they are put on the rectifier? I know they output AC and the rectifier changes it over to DC but like I said the harness was hacked and nothing was hooked up. Will it charge enough to keep the battery up and run headlights?
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

Yes it does. Current will only flow one way through the rectifier, so you can check it with an ohmeter. Check for continuity through the rectifier, then switch the leads and check again- you should only have a connection one way. Hook the engine wires to the side of the rectifier that your positive lead was on when you did have continuity.

It should charge enough to use the headlights as long as the original 18W bulbs are still in the machine. Lots of times you'll see standard auto headlights used and there's no way the system will keep up with the power they use. The best replacement I've found so far is the 35W utility bulbs at farm centers, but the LED bulbs they sell now may be better yet.

Good luck!

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Hey Don, While your talking headlights, is there any trick to removing them from an Attex? I thought I should push em out through the Inside, but was starting to get worried I may break the bulb.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    Hey Don, While your talking headlights, is there any trick to removing them from an Attex? I thought I should push em out through the Inside, but was starting to get worried I may break the bulb.

If you manage to hit some trees at some speed, they pop right out !!

Usually, the glass will push through to the inside of the machine leaving the rubber in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post

If you manage to hit some trees at some speed, they pop right out !!

Same goes for nose-diving into the water!

If you warm the rubber mounts up with a heat gun a little, the headlights push through pretty easily. It's too close to the gas tank for me to suggest a torch, but the heat gun trick works. When putting them back in, I remove the rubber mounts and put them in a pan of hot water for a while to make them easy to work with.

Both the rubbers around my lights are split so it's pretty easy....one problem is the headlights rotate in the mount....LOL They are on the replacement list...

Thanks for the info Don....now I can see if the charge circut works (as soon as I build it....LOL) at least now I know how to check it...Thanks again!

not charging

hey all. i have a 91 8x8 magnum i put a new battery in it, ran it around for a bit now the batterys dead. my guage was only reading about 10v. what should i check frist? or would i be better off just putting an alt kit in it?
    if they make a kit for my year.

+ Reply to Thread