Kohler m18

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kohler m18

Kohler m18

Why is it that the kohler m18 in my 1992 magnum needs a lot of time to warm up?

Kohler m18

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    yes, that's a good question Curtis. I remember that we used to cover the grill area in old cars to help them warm up. Your air cooled kohler engine fan blows when the engine starts cold or not. it has to idle for a long time with the fan blowing and no load on the engine to even start to heat up. My Avenger is liquid cooled and has a thermostat in the cooling system that stays closed till the coolant warms up. Still it needs to idle a bit before I can back it out of a covered trailer on minus double digit celsius days. I have a shut off on my brake cooling fan to stop the fan from making the cab even colder. I wonder if throwing a coat over the intake air screen would help?

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    Has to do with Cast Iron construction also.

Good morning Curtis, your machine will take a long time warm up at idle speed which is around 650-700 rpm. Try a higher idle speed, around 1200-1300 rpm with the choke pulled out a little to richen her up.
    How do you get it to stay on high idle you ask, well buddy that's a good question and there are a couple solutions. One is to push the twist grip throttle against the handle bar inside the grip, another is rig a cable with a sink chain to pull on your linkage while idling( also works like a cruise control. There are a few hazards so remember to always(!!!) start it in neutral.
    There is an outfit that sells a throttle lock for twist grips but I do not know where to get them, my rig has this option and it works awesome. // RR

So maybe hook my brake blower fan to a toggle switch to keep cold air coming in when warming up?

+ Reply to Thread