can an EFI engine be manually started??????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can an EFI engine be manually started??????

can an EFI engine be manually started??????

so last weekend I put a new starter in my 750 HDI argo.its a 2012 with under 3000km on it and roughly 250 hours.damn thing would not turn the engine over periodically. am gonna pull it apart tomorrow and see if its just dirty.anyhoo it got me thinking that if I was at the camp or anywhere for that matter and had a starter fail or a battery die on me,how can I get this sucker started? can you get a strap wrapped around the clutch and start it or is a guy completely FUBARED?

Dead battery you're probably done, need power for fuel pump, computer etc.., if just the starter dies than perhaps a rope/strap somewhere. Be sure you go the correct rotation.
    Give it a shot, let us know.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I don't think it will work, even though the tranny is basically a differential, it performs like an automatic transmission, which you can't pull start. Then you also have the fuel pump and computer issue to contend with. A jump box or an auxillary battery is really the way to go.

As Jim and Noel both mentioned with dead battery you are done. I have" rope" started the 27-29 hp Kawasaki Maxs in the shop to see if it could be done. Use a flat strap and duct tape to hold it on the primary clutch and it's possible. Maybe with luck in an Argo. I've had much better luck getting a near death starter to give one more crank by beating on it while someone is holding key in the start position. A jumper pack will run an injected Argo until it gets to about 9 volts, the pump ect just quit between 9-10 volts.

Hey Plott I have started my "Veng" with a strap once so yes can be done Battery power a must carry a starter pac if you are going miles from nowhere also check your neutral switch some times its only a switch issue and or the key switch the starters on them kohlers are pretty stout I replaced one in near 4K hours and it wasnt the issue.NCT

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Hey Plott I have started my "Veng" with a strap once so yes can be done Battery power a must carry a starter pac if you are going miles from nowhere also check your neutral switch some times its only a switch issue and or the key switch the starters on them kohlers are pretty stout I replaced one in near 4K hours and it wasnt the issue.NCT
    Good point NCT a bad neutral safety switch or connection, be it nss, ground or battery cables will do the same.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

the old starter would attempt to crank but sometimes never had enough jam in its butt to turn the engine over.almost like it was coming up on compression stroke but could not overcome the resistance.anyhoo the new starter solved the problem.was just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    the old starter would attempt to crank but sometimes never had enough jam in its butt to turn the engine over.almost like it was coming up on compression stroke but could not overcome the resistance.anyhoo the new starter solved the problem.was just thinking out loud.
    Costly little beggar isnt it Iam amazed at that small amount of hours and shes pooched they are not exactly user friendly to replace either gets ya thinkin what went wrong and why.NCT

well I have not attempted to manually start the argo because of a sore back but i did rebuild the starter.pulled it apart and cleaned it in the parts washer,it really was not very dirty.cleaned up the commutator with some krokus cloth then put the new brush set in.re-installedtor. it and it seems great,cranks over immediately with no effort.the old brushes looked ok so I think the problem was a bit of glazing on the commutator.

Great news Plott new ones break the bank did Argo supply the brushes what do you suppose caused the glazing?

+ Reply to Thread