Subaru 20.5HP in BigFoot or Vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subaru 20.5HP in BigFoot or Vanguard

Subaru 20.5HP in BigFoot or Vanguard

I would really appreciate some input on the feasibility of putting a 20.5 HP Subaru in a Bigfoot(2000) or Vanguard(1998). I will move forward with this swap if I can confirm the following:

1. Use stock clutches;
    2. No major retrofits required (I am not a mechanic);
    3. No major Electrical; and
    4. No major engine mounting fabrication required.

The Bigfoot has an 18HP Briggs and the Vanguard has a 16HP Briggs.

In particular, I am concerned about the following, however would appreciate any other information that I need to make my decision to proceed with the engine swap:

Subaru - EFI - 20.5HP - Any issues with Engine Size and mounting into the engine compartment

Displacement 653 cc

Torque 32.7 ft-lb

Max. Speed 3,600 RPM

Shaft Diameter 1 in. - I believe this is the same for both Briggs
    Shaft Rotation CCW - I assume this is the same as the Briggs?
    Shaft Length 2.9 in. - Will this match - any issues with the Clutches? - Can I use stock clutches and belt??

Shaft End Tapped (Diameter (in) / Threads Per Inch) 3/8 in. - 24 UNF - Not sure what this is??

Air Cleaner Type Dual element

Fuel Type Gasoline

Fuel Filter No

Oil Capacity 1.5 qt.

Lubrication System Pressure

Low Oil Alert Yes

Low Oil Shutdown Yes

Start Type 12V DC

Ignition System Electronic

Governer System Mechanical

Number of Cylinders 2
    Bore Diameter 3.15 in.
    Stroke 2.56 in.
    Compression Ratio 8.3:1
    Muffler No - Can I use the stock???
    Spark Plug Use item # 4780112

Any issues hooking up throttle controls??

Any concerns with overheating??....I understand this was a concern with new B&S 23HP??

Thanks, Rick

If Your not into fabbin' brackets and welding exhaust systems etc I would just go with the 23 Vanguard and be done with it. its the same money in the end.

Thanks Nubs.....I just heard that there are many problems with the 23HP Briggs (mainly overheating issues) and it would be nice to have the EFI.

Rick

I've heard that

Anyone else got any feedback on this??

I know that there are others that installed Subaru motors into Argos.

Will the shaft accept my stock clutch and is the length ok?

Do I need to fab a custom motor mount bracket, or will it bolt into the current config?

Would really appreciate any information out there on this motor install.

Thanks, Rick

The drive clutch will fit but its just not going to drop in and u'll be driving. Throttle, mounts, wiring, exhaust and fuel lines will all need work. Hard to tell someone if its right thing to do when they have little idea of the skill level of the installer

Thanks Nubs.....I can handle throttle, wiring, and exhaust mods to suit the Subaru.

I was just hoping to get more feedback on the other major items like shaft length, engine mounts, space in the tub, etc...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    Thanks Nubs.....I can handle throttle, wiring, and exhaust mods to suit the Subaru.

I was just hoping to get more feedback on the other major items like shaft length, engine mounts, space in the tub, etc...

Rick
    Hello, anyone out there put a 20.5 Subaru in a Bigoot/Vanguard?? would really appreciate feedback on this...thanks.

I'm sure there are Subaru's in Argos somewhere though I've not seen it. Shaft size is fine, physical size should fit in the hole.

Now, you will have to compare shaft heights from the base plate as whether you'll need to adapt the engine to the powerpack frame. Take a center line measurement now and right it down. Oil cooler if so equipped will have to be clearance considered if it is trans side aswell as overall lower and upper widths of engine. Bolt pattern (Crankshaft pto end )to crankshaft inner lip ( where clutch rests) will need to be considered.
    You will need some wiring adjustments for sure to adapt from the Subaru harness to the existing main harness.
    You will need to hook up an electric fuel pump and possibly a return if the Subaru needs it.
    The exhaust will need modification for certain.
    You may need to adapt the cool air intake.
    Overall engine height at top of air cleaner needs to be considered to run with a hood on.

Here is a pic I found of a Predator in a Response ( same body/hood style) notice air cleaner is no longer mounted.
    These pics show muffler will distort the body as shown.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks for the prompt response ARGOJIM...great advice.

I feel good about doing most of the mods that you mentioned...except for the following:

1. Remote throttle controls....subaru does not seem to have a similar set-up to ARGO...could I use B&S ARGO controls?;
    2. Dimensions (Horiz/vert) between the Driven Clutch and the Driver.....is there some flexibility here or do they need to be bang on??

+ Reply to Thread